Not receiving email notifications to subscribed threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krs

Reaction score
I just checked our Admin panel to see if there is a help topic on the option through my control panel only and unfortunately there is no description for that option. I did make several changes to your profile as an experiment to see if they might work better for you. Let me know.

I can't even find anything in this forum called "control panel"
Where is that? Can somebody point me to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I can't even find anything in this forum called "control panel"
Where is that? Can somebody point me to it?
I believe that is only for Admins and Mods.

krs

Reaction score
I believe that is only for Admins and Mods.

You may be right, but then this doesn't make sense to me.
Why would a member have the option to set notifications to "my control panel only" if the member then has no access to it?
It also says "my" which implies it's something I should have access to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the "control panel" in question is the page you get with "Settings." At least on my Settings page I see any subscribed thread with a new post in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You may be right, but then this doesn't make sense to me.
Why would a member have the option to set notifications to "my control panel only" if the member then has no access to it?
It also says "my" which implies it's something I should have access to.

I think it probably depends on how each forum's vBulletin page is set up by the particular administrators.

For example, another vBulletin forum we use (ehmac.ca) does not seem to have an option for "Settings" but does have one for "User CP", I gather the CP stands for Control Panels, and when it is selected, one ends up at the user's "Settings", basically all the same thing just a different name and/or location for access.

But I think, as I glance back, that Jake has already explained the same thing.

What would really be appreciated and nice would be if the vBulletin Developers Support people actually had a user's user manual (not just for admins) one could use to check out what they mean by some of their Settings wording or descriptions.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
vBulletin forum software has been around since 2000 (19 years)...and more than likely terminology used in previous versions & modified in newer versions...may have not been completely expunged from the newer versions.

For example...in vBulletin 3...this is what the "Member Settings" area looked like (notice the use of the terms "User CP" and "User Control Panel"):

CP vB 3.png

In vBulletin 4 (our version)...the "Member Settings" area looks like this (what Mac-Forums members should be familiar with):

CP vB 4.png

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread because now I no longer get email notifications from this forum.
Last one seems to be December 10th, but I also deleted a lot of emails so it's possible there was also a more current one that was deleted.

But for sure, until Dec 10th email notification was fine.
And before anyone asks, I don't have a spam folder - anything the ISP considers spam shows up in my inbox with [spam?] at the beginning of the subject line.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm resurrecting this thread because now I no longer get email notifications from this forum.

Let us know if that continues. Your profile has not changed nor are there any changes to the forum software.

It is rather strange that we have had problems with email notifications for both you and Patrick. I know you both live in Canada but in different locales with different ISPs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Let us know if that continues. Your profile has not changed nor are there any changes to the forum software.

It is rather strange that we have had problems with email notifications for both you and Patrick. I know you both live in Canada but in different locales with different ISPs.

Just for the record, I am still receiving the email notifications from this forum and the weekly email summary and auto log-in is continuing to work. Just the odd posting quirk problems here that haven't happened lately,... touch wood.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, that's good to hear. Now if we could figure out what's happening with "krs", maybe we can put a finger on why this problem crops up every now and then.

krs

Reaction score
No email notification for any of the three posts after mine.

I think there are others who don't get email notification.
For instance, cr00zng in this thread
How you are tracked by devices...
post #14 has the notifications end up in the spam folder because it seems that the server the notifications are sent from is blacklisted.
maybe the filter my ISP uses blocks these notifications completely.

I will call them up in the morning to see if they can shed any light on that.

BTW - I do get email notifications from other forums.

krs

Reaction score
Two more pieces of information that might help track down what the issue is.

1. I checked directly on the mail server of my ISP since all incoming mail is stored there for a month before it gets deleted.
The last notification email from this forum was last Thursday:
Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buyin... Thu, 12:21 pm Reply to thread 'Newbie!'

2. I called tech support of my ISP - good thing it's a small ISP where I actually knew the tech support person and I have 1005 confidence in what he tells me (which is not the case for most of the tech support of large companies)
He checked all the spam filters they have set up and there is definitely no email from this forum caught in their spam filter
Seems for some reason the notification emails are no longer being sent after he last one which I copied and posted above

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm doing some experimenting with your profile in the data base. It clearly shows that you have chosen to receive "Instant email notification" of a thread you're subscribed to. I'm going to try some other options to see if we can get things going again.

Let me know if you receive email from this reply.

krs

Reaction score
Thanks for trying.

No, I didn't get any email notification from any thread I subscribed to on this forum including your post of 3:19pm

Until last Thursday everything was fine.

krs

Reaction score
Just double checked - the last email notification I received was for post #9 of the Newbie" thread

Dear krs,

NSMacGuru has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Newbie! -
in the Switcher Hangout forum of Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying
Tips | Mac-Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/354088-newbie-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Comments above from forum members helpful and should be taken to heart.

That said, you have a machine that can do a heckuva lot of stuff, even if it can't
go beyond 10.11.

Do a "needs assessment". What do you need to do with the computer... you mentioned
audio editing, for example. Is there a specific program you want to use, or would
you like suggestions from us regarding freeware and other apps that will enable you
to meet some of your needs?

Also consider that now that folks are moving on to newer Macs with (sigh) "better"
ports like Thunderbolt / USB-C, you may see lots of equipment coming available in
the used market for cheap that will plug in to your "old" machine and give it new
usability without a large investment.

Be specific about what you want to do, how you want or need to do it, and we'll do
our best to point you in the right direction.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications
until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Apple iOS MacOS Help | Fix Mac iPhone iPad | Buying Tips | Mac-Forums

However in my listing of notifications it says the last post of that thread was 13 Dec 2019 at 9:55am and I should have received a notification then.
That is the notification I never received and it somehow blockes all future notifications.

I wonder if the forum software now "thinks" that I have not logged into the forum and that is why I don't get notifications.

I'm permanently logged in, but later tonight, at a specific time, I will log out and then log back in again to see it that is the issue.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I'm understanding you correctly I don't think that whether or not someone is permanently logged in makes a difference. I stay logged in and get email notifications of thread updates. Every once in while I'll notice that I haven't gotten notification of a thread that has been updated. In my case the issue seems to be that the email in question has ben misidentified as spam and appears in the Junk folder in Mail.

In my case I started to wonder whether certain topics were being misidentified as junk. That doesn't seem to be much help for others in the thread though because if I'm understanding everyone correctly notifications stop on all updated threads not just certain ones. Is that correct?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, let me clarify something for members concerning our Staff and email notifications of threads.

Normally we are not subscribed to threads simply because we have to monitor every thread which means frequently visiting the forums on a daily basis. Which is why we sometimes may not be aware of a problem with email notifications.

It seems some of us are more prone to missing email notifications than others. Nick and I are investigating and trying various things to see if that makes a difference. So far nothing has worked to resolve the problem.

krs

Reaction score
If I'm understanding you correctly I don't think that whether or not someone is permanently logged in makes a difference.

It shouldn't...but I'm grasping at straws.
If the forum software somehow ended up thinking I wasn't logged in, then not sending notification emails would make sense.
I just logged out at 9:33pm Eastern and logged back in at 9:38pm
So let's see if that makes any difference.

krs

Reaction score
First, let me clarify something for members concerning our Staff and email notifications of threads.

Normally we are not subscribed to threads simply because we have to monitor every thread which means frequently visiting the forums on a daily basis. Which is why we sometimes may not be aware of a problem with email notifications.

It seems some of us are more prone to missing email notifications than others. Nick and I are investigating and trying various things to see if that makes a difference. So far nothing has worked to resolve the problem.

What about VBulletin tech support?
This can't be the only forum where members have this problem.

krs

Reaction score
BTW - My understanding is that the forum software will not send out another email notification until one visits the forum again.
Right?

It's not until one visits the forum thread the notification was sent about, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.