Normal Questions from New User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
1. In Windows I knew where to go to find out my computer specs, ie, Hard Drive info, ram, OS Version, etc. Where would I find that on a Mac ?

2. How would I move an App from the Chrome App Launcher in my Dock onto my desktop ?

3. Is there an Apple backed program recommended for catching malware or spyware or to clean up your hard drive such as cookies ?

4. Is there a Defragmentation with Mac ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forum. I'll do the best I can to answer your questions.

1. To find your computer specs go to the Apple in the upper left of your screen and click there. Select "About this Mac'. The window that appears will show the basics. The first page shows the basics. Clicking each tab shows different info. System report gives a detailed report.

3. There isn't exactly an Apple backed solution but many of our members use AdwareMedic to get rid of the malware that is starting to appear. For cleanup of other stuff check out Titanium Software - OnyX. Make sure to download the correct one for your OS.

4. Officially apple says most users will not need to defray their drive but users who routinely move large files, say audio/video for example sometimes find it helpful. Many of our users have used Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

M

MacInWin

For #2, don't do that. Apps in OS X are not like applications in Windows. You don't want to clutter your desktop with them. Put apps you want most on the Dock, which you do by opening Applications in Finder, Right click on the App you want on the Dock, Make Alias, then drag/drop the alias to the Dock where you want it. The icons will open a hole for the new item. Or, you can open the application and then find the icon on the dock while it's open and right click, Options, Keep in Dock. I don't have Chrome, so I don't know what the Chrome App Launcher does, but you probably don't need that, either. Finder and the Dock are all the launcher you need to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1. To find your computer specs go to the Apple in the upper left of your screen and click there. Select "About this Mac'. The window that appears will show the basics. *The first page shows the basics. Clicking each tab shows different info. System report gives a detailed report.

*Click on the More Info button.

Please correct me if that isn't what is implied.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No you're right. I intended to put that in the post and include the idea of the tabs as an afterthought. My bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.