Noob questions for using an external monitor.

Reaction score
Good morning. So I am considering getting an external monitor for my 2021 MBP, 14" and I have some questions. If I purchase a monitor, do I need to purchase a new wireless keyboard and mouse, or can I use the keyboard and trackpad from the laptop?? Also I have a separate, powered speaker that I use for sound that is connected to the laptop. Will I still be able to use this for sound while using the ext mon.?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can use the built-in keyboard and mouse unless you plan to use the laptop with the lid closed (clamshell mode).

You will still be able to use the powered speaker just as you currently do. If you use a monitor with built-in speakers, they will likely appear as an output option in the Sound preference pane. Once you choose one of the options it should stay on that setting until you change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a 14" 2021 MBP that I use with 2-27" monitors. I use the keyboard and trackpad on the MBP. I move from the MBP's built in monitor to the 2-27" and back. I have also closed the MBP putting into clamshell mode and used a USB mouse and BT keyboard.

As Slydude said the external speakers will continue to work too with the external monitor. I have a set I have plugged into the external jack on the MBP and they work also BT speakers will work. It all depends on what is selected in your system preference -> sound.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
All of this sounds complicated. Lisa, is it easy to configure/set up everything to work together like you have on your system? Also, I've read about using the laptop in clamshell mode can result in overheating because the heat from the laptop is vented through its own keyboard. Is this something to be concerned about?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The monitor will not affect the speakers, so that will function as it is today.

You need for a separate keyboard/mouse will depend on how you intend to setup your work area. If you are going to put the external monitor above the laptop physically, then can use the entire system as a vertical area with your laptop screen followed by the external monitor above it. With everything in front of you, you can use the keyboard/trackpad of the laptop without issues.

However, realize that with the screen resolution changes between the laptop screen and external monitor, it'll be funny to jump in between these things.

To that end, most people use a couple of external displays at the same resolution and either put the laptop to the side with the screen open as a 3rd display or put it into clamshell mode.

The air vents for the MBP is indeed in the hinge between the top and bottom case and having the machine run closed all the time under load could lead to potential thermal issues, so some people put fans blowing across the MBP sitting in a vertical stand to alleviate this. The other thing to be mindful of is that older generation Macbook's also had issue with keys from the keyboard imprinting on the screen and causing damage.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude (channeling Lisa)

The setup Lisa has is pretty simple to set up. Just take things step-by-step.

When you plug the monitor into the Mac, most monitors are recognized immediately. With some older monitors I've needed a reboot but that has been rare. This article will give you an overview.

The screenshots of that preference pane only appear when the second monitor is connected.

Adding am external keyboard and mouse is as simple as following the pairing procedure for whatever keyboard/mouse/trackpad you want to use.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK ty all for this information. However, looking at pictures of monitors and laptops, when I envision putting the external monitor above and behind the laptop screen, in order to use the laptop keyboard and trackpad, I think the viewing angle is going to be too high. Uncomfortably high for me. So then I guess I'd need to purchase an additional keyboard and mouse. More expense, hassle, pita, etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I usually have my Mac to display an extended desktop I usually have it to the left because that's what's comfortable for me. I think you're right about the angle probably being too high.

If you decide to purchase a keyboard and mouse you can cut some of the expense by purchasing a a third-party keyboard and mouse. This is cheaper than using Apple's gear but I don't think you'll you'll find a mouse that supports the touch gestures if that's important to you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Slydude, could you provide a picture of your setup? What do you mean by "extended" desktop? I am trying to see it in my head, but am having trouble.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
"Extended desktop" is just the word to use to talk about external monitors, the physical layout doesn't matter.

When you plug in an additional monitor to your Mac, you have the option of mirroring the contents of the Mac's display to the external or you can use the external as an extended display that's separate from the Mac's display.

Since my Mac Studio doesn't have a built-in display, I have three options. I can choose either of my monitors the the main, either of them to be extended, or I mirror the two of them (which just seems silly).

Here are settings for my first screen.

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 1.27.00 PM.png
And here are settings for my second screen.

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 1.27.04 PM.png
Not that one of them says Main Display and the other is Extended Display

In my case, I have the two monitors side-by-side and right monitor is the main display and left is extended. I also have the Dock on the right side of the main display..

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 1.28.19 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Mirrored mode your Mac puts the same image on both screens. In extended mode a different image/app can be on each screen. See the example screenshot.

Attachments

• Mirrored jpg.jpg
    Mirrored jpg.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Extended jpeg.png
    Extended jpeg.png
    1 MB · Views: 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.