noisy fan from out of nowhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
i have a custom setting to 1200 and for some reason that's where the fan is staying close to. Can't hear the fan at all. don't have a clue why it's working. The core temp at the moment is between 26 and 37 Degrees "C". (maybe it takes time to work - but when i least expect it- iI am sure it will do its thing.)
These issues are a problem for Apple - its their latest update with issues that were never there before and believe they will see these issues and get them fixed.
The issue is, with that setting of 1200, the fan won’t go faster when the temp rises. Which could cause damage to your Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have a 2019 iMac 27" running Ventura 13.1 which i consider one of the most troublesome OS since i got this MAC. some things like my printer has to removed and reloaded every time i want to use the scanner. (never had that happen before). now i have a fan running all the time that i didn't know existed in this MAC. And it makes a lot of noise. At first, AFTER this last "update" the fan kicked on for a few minutes and would quit for a few days then.
on a lot now all the time.

It's nice to read that you seem to have your Mac's fan noise now under control, and as for your Brother scanner problem, what model Brother printer scanner is it that you have?

What application do you normally use for scanning with that printer/ scanner???

Have you tried using Apple's Image Capture.app???

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I feel obliged as a long time Macs Fan Control user to point out that the general purpose of the utility is to keep the device cool by increasing the fan speeds at lower temperatures ie. earlier than the system might by concentrating priority on say the GPU temp rather than CPU. This is beneficial for eg. graphically demanding games. I cannot imagine how it could have been helpful in your situation. Not to say it isn't a very handy utility, it is and can always be left on "Auto".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel obliged as a long time Macs Fan Control user to point out that the general purpose of the utility is to keep the device cool by increasing the fan speeds at lower temperatures

I must agree, and that is certainly the reason I have used it over the years and many others that I know who also do so.

But I have also heard of instances where it has helped users such as the OP's problem.

But a good valid point that you mentioned for users to be aware of.

- Patrick
=======

Tobermann

Reaction score
Have a 2019 iMac 27" running Ventura 13.1 which i consider one of the most troublesome OS since i got this MAC. some things like my printer has to removed and reloaded every time i want to use the scanner. (never had that happen before). now i have a fan running all the time that i didn't know existed in this MAC. And it makes a lot of noise. At first, AFTER this last "update" the fan kicked on for a few minutes and would quit for a few days then.
on a lot now all the time.
Nothing at all feels warm on the MAC. just wondering if anyone else has this issue or is this an isolated fault thats gonna require it to be taken in? Is there anyway to go back to the original OS which was Catalina when i bought this thing.
Any ideas .
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom, did you solve the problem? I'm asking because I have the same problem here (2019 iMac 27") for years now. And yes: That fan is really really loud. It already started here back then when I installed Big Sur. Big mistake. My fan runs at maximum for years now... They couldn't help in the Apple Store. Nothing helped so far. The only reason why I didn't kick the iMac into the trash yet is the good display and because it costed so much money... Ideas??? Regards, Tobermann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That fan is really really loud. It already started here back then when I installed Big Sur. Big mistake. My fan runs at maximum for years now... They couldn't help in the Apple Store. Nothing helped so far.

Maybe you might want to download and try using Macs Fan Control.app and set all all fans to a constant speed of around 2500 to 2800 RPM, and see if that doesn't help. I've had to do a similar thing with my 2011 27-in iMac for the second fan that has become noisy. I replaced the first original noisy one a year ago. I should have replaced all three fans at the same time if I had known.

Keep an eye on the temperature, but Macs Fan Control will not let your Mac exceed Apple's maximum temperature setting and will override your settings in case that happens. But the lower speed should probably work and stop any excessive fan noise due to age as they can be quite a PITA to replace.

You can download Macs Fan Control here and it is quite safe to use:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Tom, did you solve the problem? I'm asking because I have the same problem here (2019 iMac 27") for years now. And yes: That fan is really really loud. It already started here back then when I installed Big Sur. Big mistake. My fan runs at maximum for years now... They couldn't help in the Apple Store. Nothing helped so far. The only reason why I didn't kick the iMac into the trash yet is the good display and because it costed so much money... Ideas??? Regards, Tobermann
Hi Sir;
I sorta solved the issue by the suggestions and help of others within this forum.( I'd be totally lost without these guys ). However i DID down load the Mac Fan Control as suggested and i was able to maintain control to a point. My fan now runs at a continous
speed now of 1200 rpm. Once in a while it will ramp up to over 4K rpm for reasons unknown, but never for long.
Mac fan control gives you control of speed or a monitoring setting. worth it.
I still believe when there has never been an issue then an new "update" comes along and the fan goes nuts and my printer's scanner doesn't work if my computer sleeps, which requires me to unload the printer totally and reload it to use the scanner. the problem has to be somewhere in the OS update. others have camera issues, i haven't even tried my camera.
Just an old guy sounding off..lol
Hope you can solve your issues as well

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sadly it's pretty normal to have printer issues after a major update of macOS. This is more often an problem caused by printer manufacturers not keeping their printer drivers up to date with current operating systems.
As for Mac Fans Control (MFC), I have used this handy utility for many years and devices to increase fan speed at lower temps rather than the opposite.
Of course fans will wear out, they are just little electric motors in a plastic housing with nylon bearings and over time they do a lot of revolutions.
I think I would have tried resetting the Systems Management Controller (SMC) first before trying MFC, you might find that running it on Automatic rather than a Custom setting works just as well;

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.