noisy fan from out of nowhere

Reaction score
Have a 2019 iMac 27" running Ventura 13.1 which i consider one of the most troublesome OS since i got this MAC. some things like my printer has to removed and reloaded every time i want to use the scanner. (never had that happen before). now i have a fan running all the time that i didn't know existed in this MAC. And it makes a lot of noise. At first, AFTER this last "update" the fan kicked on for a few minutes and would quit for a few days then.
on a lot now all the time.
Nothing at all feels warm on the MAC. just wondering if anyone else has this issue or is this an isolated fault thats gonna require it to be taken in? Is there anyway to go back to the original OS which was Catalina when i bought this thing.
Any ideas .
Thanks
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Several thoughts: How are you using the scanner? What scanner is it? I have an HP 8600 AIO and get to the scan function through Settings/Printers & Scanners and it works every time. So, more details and maybe there is a setting you need to fix.

Second, on the fans, open Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and look at the CPU tab. Click on the column header labeled "% CPU" to get the biggest users to the top to see what is using your CPU, which is most likely the heat generator triggering the fans.

Third, can you go back? Yes, but it's painful and may be only marginally successful. The jump from Catalina to Ventura was pretty big. To go back you would have to completely erase the drive, reinstall and reinitialize, then restore from your backup, which has to be carefully made because the way backups are made changed between Catalina and Ventura. So, don't just jump to that option as it is ugly in the extreme.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have a 2019 iMac 27" running Ventura 13.1 which i consider one of the most troublesome OS since i got this MAC. some things like my printer has to be removed and reloaded every time i want to use the scanner. (never had that happen before).
This may not be 2019 iMac related...or macOS Ventura related. How old is your printer & scanner?

If they're pretty old...eventually compatibility could start to suffer. Not saying 100% this is the case here...but it is something to consider.

now i have a fan running all the time that i didn't know existed in this MAC. And it makes a lot of noise. At first, AFTER this last "update" the fan kicked on for a few minutes and would quit for a few days then.
Jake beat me to it;)...check out Activity Monitor for anything using a lot of system resources.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have a 2019 iMac 27" running Ventura 13.1 which i consider one of the most troublesome OS since i got this MAC. some things like my printer has to removed and reloaded every time i want to use the scanner. (never had that happen before). now i have a fan running all the time that i didn't know existed in this MAC. And it makes a lot of noise. At first, AFTER this last "update" the fan kicked on for a few minutes and would quit for a few days then.
on a lot now all the time.

For your fan noise, I would suggest downloading and installing Macs Fan Control.app which will give you the internal temperatures of your Mac and allow you to possibly lower the speed if it's due to some fast speed it wasn't running at previously. It could also be due to bad bearings which would require a replacement being necessary.

As for your printer/scanner, even though it is probably different from the Canon MX 922 I use, I ended up using two separate drivers to add them to the Dock, one for the printer only, and one for the scanner only:

Screen Shot 1.png

I had to replace one of the fans on my 2011 27 inch iMac last year due to a very noisy bearing.

I also have used the Macs Fan Control for several years which also allowed me to vary each of the fan's speeds which allowed me to identify which fan(s) were faulty. And it was only one.

- Patrick
=======

Attachments

• Screen Shot 1.png
    Screen Shot 1.png
    94 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For your fan noise, I would suggest downloading and installing Macs Fan Control.app which will give you the internal temperatures of your Mac and allow you to possibly lower the speed if it's due to some fast speed it wasn't running at previously. It could also be due to bad bearings which would require a replacement being necessary.
That is a bit like putting a bit of black tape over the "check engine" light so you don't have to see it. In the long run, it could cost you a lot. It's much better to deal with the cause of the loud fan/excess heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's much better to deal with the cause of the loud fan/excess heat.

My main reason for suggesting the Macs Fan Control.app is its ability to display the internal temps of one's Mac. And if too high, one can take steps to find the source and do something about it.

Also, I have always found Apple sets the default temperature settings much higher than I wish my Macs to run at, and use the Macs Fan Control to increase the default fan speed.

BTW, I have always found Macs Fan Control doesn't allow one to run their fans slower or lower temperatures than Apple's OS default fan speed/temp settings.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the clarification, Patrick. I have seen other folks here recommend fan control software to reduce the fan speed to quiet noise, which is a lousy recommendation for the reason I alluded to. But if that app won't go below Apple's minimums, that is OK. But that won't reduce the OP's noise issue. Maybe it can help him isolate it to one fan, if it's a fan issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But that won't reduce the OP's noise issue. Maybe it can help him isolate it to one fan, if it's a fan issue.

That was one of the other reasons I suggested using it, it doesn't take long to increase or change the fan speed of each fan separately to see which one is possibly causing the noise.

I guess it's also possible for a fan's temperature sensor to go kaput and have the fan run at abnormal absurd speeds, but I don't know if they are a changeable item or not, I would have to do some checking but it's not my machine...

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow, there is so much i didn't realize that went on with this MAC. I have to thank you all for your input and letting know that there obviously an issue with temperature and possibly my fan being bad. My old iMAC was a 24" 2007 model that always ran hot for so many years and that was very normal for that iMac model.
However, i would like to throw in one more detail i just came across after looking closer to more possibilities. My feed electrically to this mac is through a "Monster Power" surge protector power supply system. and its been feeding this iMAC 125 volts. (on its display.) I just got back fro Lowes and bought a digital volt meter to check whats coming into the house. i have different reads from different outlets from 121V to 124.6V. // Currently - i Have this MAC plugged into a regular surge protector reading 123.1V. I think its possible that high voltage might do some damage as well since things are designed to run @120 +/- 2 volts normally.
So far this computer has been on 25 minutes since i shut it down earlier and i don't hear the fan.

gonna go looking for that fan app.
Thanks to you all - truly
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think the minor variation in voltage is significant. I would suspect that the power range the Mac can handle is pretty broad. The current iMc power range is this:

Electrical and Operating Requirements​

• Line voltage:100–240V AC
  • Frequency:50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
  • Operating temperature:50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
  • Relative humidity:5% to 90% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude:tested up to 16,400 feet (5000 meters)
And I suspect that although that is the range for a brand new iMac, that it's the same, or close, for your iMac. Macs are built to be used all around the world, with multiple power sources.

EDIT: Mactracker says the line voltage range on that iMac is 120-240V AC, so that minor difference is well within the range.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have the same model iMac with Ventura 13.1 and yeah, I think it is problematic. Every time I reboot, it comes back up saying it restarted because there was a problem and asks if I want to re-open the apps that were previously open. Sometimes I get a popping noise from the speakers as it reboots. This started with Ventura 13.1. I need to do some testing, like pop Monterey on an external and boot/reboot from that just to see if the problem goes away, but the timing is pretty damning.

One thing you should do to try and resolve your fan issue is reset the SMC. That might do the trick. The SMC controls the fans, among other things.

P.S.: It's a Mac, not a MAC! "Mac" is short for "Macintosh". "MAC" is an acronym for "Media Access Controller" and a bunch of others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing you should do to try and resolve your fan issue is reset the SMC. That might do the trick. The SMC controls the fans, among other things.

That is an excellent suggestion. Especially if a different fan controller had ever been installed and later disabled and removed.

The third party smcFanControl certainly specifically comes to mind if it has ever been installed and then removed. Reset the SMC.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow thank you to everyone and it is good to know that all this started with the update to Ventura 13.1 on other peoples machines as well. (although different problems) but still with the latest updates. I would love to go back to Catalina which was on here when i bought it bit not sure that's possible at this point.
However, to update; I removed the power supply for the system and have a regular surge protector with the house current, and as was stated earlier, that wasn't the problem. after the the move, i regretfully down loaded Mac Cleaner X and that just was a waste. then i downloaded Mac Fan Control, the free version so far. Started looking at running temps and the CPU seems to run at about 100 degrees or there about. I don't think this is too high but the fluctuation of the fan is from 1400 to sometimes over 3000 rpm. the range on the "helper tool 1200 to 2700 however the fan bursts up to above 3000 rpm. i set the speed to 2009 rpm and but still jumps to 2700+.
Yhe idea of the reset of the sac fan control is an excellent idea. but how do i do that specifically? (i know i am not the brightest of the bunch but i try) believe me - its just a computer it can always be fixed.
Thanks Patrick and Lifesabeach n PM-r
I'll let you know what happens next
Just an old guy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to go back to Catalina which was on here when i bought it bit not sure that's possible at this point.
It is, but it's a pain to do. You will have to erase and reformat the internal drive to do that, which means you lose everything on it. And Catalina cannot read a TM backup from Ventura, so you'll have to find a way to make a different backup of what you have to get your files back. Also, the applications you now have may well have been upgraded to the Ventura version, and they may or may not run on Catalina (most likely not), so you'd have to figure out how to get back to those older versions and reinstall them. So, it's possible, but very, very painful and not really worth it unless everything goes absolutely nuts.

As for the SMC, to reset it here is an Apple article on it: Reset the SMC of your Mac

Read the whole article before pushing buttons, it varies from machine to machine.

EDIT: Oh, and is the temp you reporting Centigrade or Fahrenheit? It makes a difference!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As for the SMC, to reset it here is an Apple article on it: Reset the SMC of your Mac

Read the whole article before pushing buttons, it varies from machine to machine.

EDIT: Oh, and is the temp you reporting Centigrade or Fahrenheit? It makes a difference!
You really know how to ruin a guy's fun don't you? Don't let SWMBO know about this or I am in deep trouble. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
oh - i am sorry about reporting the temp without designating the format. ( 100 degrees Fahrenheit ) --- 38 degrees Centigrade

And OK - i will read every word of that reset article.... what could go wrong?
Tom
Thank you

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Firstly, I can't hear your fan so I don't know what "noisy" for you really means but even flat out the fans/s will be audible but not noisy. Secondly 100 deg F is not hot, the fan should be running quite slow at that temp. My MBP GPU runs at about 40 deg C (approx 100 deg F) when it's idling so I'd definitely consider resetting the SMC.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi everyone;
Well, an update to this fan issue. i just opened the computer - the fan started ramping up and down from about 1200 rpm to over 4000 rpm. i down loaded the free version of Mac's Fan control. doesn't seem to help and wants me to pay for the "pro" version. its $15.00 bur if the free version doesn't have an affect on the fan speed - why would the pro version? But i am a sucker, i am sure i'll try it.

The noise i am talking about is the noise you hear when the fan ramps up to above 2000+ rpm. not a noise like the bearings or a faulty issue, but of really moving some air.

Also, i read very carefully how to reset the SMC on an intel core Mac. I did it twice and on startup - fan went wild as usual. However, at the moment, i have a custom setting to 1200 and for some reason that's where the fan is staying close to. Can't hear the fan at all. don't have a clue why it's working. The core temp at the moment is between 26 and 37 Degrees "C". (maybe it takes time to work - but when i least expect it- iI am sure it will do its thing.)
These issues are a problem for Apple - its their latest update with issues that were never there before and believe they will see these issues and get them fixed.

OP
A
Reaction score

As for your printer/scanner, even though it is probably different from the Canon MX 922 I use, I ended up using two separate drivers to add them to the Dock, one for the printer only, and one for the scanner only:

View attachment 37819

I had to replace one of the fans on my 2011 27 inch iMac last year due to a very noisy bearing.

I also have used the Macs Fan Control for several years which also allowed me to vary each of the fan's speeds which allowed me to identify which fan(s) were faulty. And it was only one.

- Patrick
=======
Hi Patrick;
Sorry it took so long to get back to you about the printer/scanner issue. (been occupied with the fan problem)... however, i have a Brothers Laser printer that's about 4- maybe 5 years old. since this latest OS update to Ventura 13.1, the issue is i lost the access to the scanner right after the boot to the new update. Not being sure what to do, i unloaded the printer, then reloaded it. now, as long as i was on line (wifi) i could easily use the printer or the scanner. BUT, if i go off line which i usually do at the end of the day, when I get back on line, i can't access the the scanner. The printer part is fine.... I have to uninstall and reinstall the printer again. Once i break that network connection - i no longer can access the scanner portion of the printer when i log back on. I have to uninstall and reload again.
Don't sound like a driver issue.
What do you think?
Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.