No start up after power surge on 17" intel iMac - Only flickering sleep light.

Reaction score
The power went out, came back on for about 2 seconds, went out again, came on for a few more seconds and then went off again for a few hours.
A power controller contains a protective lockout function that might have tripped on that anomaly. This lock out is reset by unplugging long enough for any 'computer off but LED still lit' light to extinguish.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi dtravis7,

Actually there was no thunderstorm or lightening. Someone apparently ran into a power box......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 8Gb 250 HD/ibook G3/ 2 ipods
Sorry to hear this ! I would suggest taking in and having it looked at. I few dollars to find out what's going on, and how much this will cost to fix may save you money. I had a hard drive and cd drive put in my ibook G3 about five years ago to save money I thought. Parts and labor came to $ 300. Looking back now I should have just bought a new laptop.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello again,

I took a drive yesterday to the closest Apple store and after hearing my description (and plugging in their diagnostic cable) they told me that based on my information it was most likely the power supply or motherboard. So, I am interested in using my multimeter to test both pieces of hardware. I'm not all that familiar with how to use a multimeter but figure that I can do it. I do have one slightly bulging capacitor on the power supply and I'm going to get to looking at the motherboard later today. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I know that it would be easier to just get a new iMac but this certain one belongs to my wife and fits (and matches) perfectly in a small space that we have for it. Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I finally caved in and bought my wife a new, 21.5" iMac. She decided that she could "live" with it after checking it out in person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good news as they are a great machine.

For what it is worth run mine through an iBox UPS. Had a blackout a week ago and gave me twenty minutes to finish my work, save, and power down.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks harryb2448! They are a great machine! I'm considering purchasing UPS's for both of my machines. Not sure which ones yet though....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.