No sound when playing videos on my Mac pro

Reaction score
Hi I recently plugged in my head phones to listen to a video which was fine , but once I removed could not get any sound from watching videos on my Macbook pro. I went into sound in systems settings but still could not fix the problem. Recently I added a new screen attached to the laptop would this have anything to do with it. Thanks in advance !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I went into sound in systems settings but still could not fix the problem.
I presume by that that the output was set to the Internal speakers, but you still get no sound? Or was it that you clicked on things and nothing changed?

Have you tried a reboot?

OP
C
Reaction score
Jake the only options it game me on sound output were Digital Out / Optical digital-out port and S22D390 / Display Port. I have tried both and nothing changes. I have turned the computer off and back on and nothing has happened sadly.

I presume by that that the output was set to the Internal speakers, but you still get no sound? Or was it that you clicked on things and nothing changed?

Have you tried a reboot?

OP
C
Reaction score
The only options it game me on sound output were Digital Out / Optical digital-out port and S22D390 / Display Port. I have tried both and nothing changes. I have turned the computer off and back on and nothing has happened sadly.

QUOTE="Carrich, post: 1865034, member: 396975"]
Jake the only options it game me on sound output were Digital Out / Optical digital-out port and S22D390 / Display Port. I have tried both and nothing changes. I have turned the computer off and back on and nothing has happened sadly.
[/QUOTE]

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
plugged in my head phones to listen to a video which was fine , but once I removed could not get any sound from watching videos on my Macbook pro.

There isn't any chance that removing the headphones damaged the input connection? And, because I'm not clear on this point, have you tried listening through the headphones since then. What I'm confused about - apologies - is whether all sound is lost (Headphones and Mac speakers) or just from the Mac speakers.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
I can still hear if I put the earphones in but not through the speakers

There isn't any chance that removing the headphones damaged the input connection? And, because I'm not clear on this point, have you tried listening through the headphones since then. What I'm confused about - apologies - is whether all sound is lost (Headphones and Mac speakers) or just from the Mac speakers.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Carrich

This may sound cheeky, but I've got to ask: when you select Internal Speakers via System Preferences > Sound, you haven't got Mute checked have you?

S1.jpg

And Output volume is suitably adjusted? Sorry, don't mean to offend,

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Lol.... no offence taken but seriously I wish I had it checked cos that would be a very simple solution. Yes the volume is adjusted accordingly as well.

@Carrich

This may sound cheeky, but I've got to ask: when you select Internal Speakers via System Preferences > Sound, you haven't got Mute checked have you?

View attachment 32646

And Output volume is suitably adjusted? Sorry, don't mean to offend,

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try removing the external monitor and all cables. Then set everything back to normal as you had it before and let us know if the sound returns.

OP
C
Reaction score
I removed added screen as you suggested had no other cables other than power cord and still no sound.
This is a screen shot of what it said, I dont understand what it means by the selected device has no output controls?

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.23.05 am.png
Try removing the external monitor and all cables. Then set everything back to normal as you had it before and let us know if the sound returns.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ive just noticed mine doesnt come up with Internal speakers, Why is that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ive just noticed mine doesnt come up with Internal speakers, Why is that?

Okay. It appears your headphone digital sound output port is stuck on the headphone input which is why you're getting that message. When that happens, your speaker out won't appear.

Try sliding your headphone male plug in and out of the headphone input jack several times to see if you can get it back to normal. Sometimes a paper clip will also work.

Also... look closely into the jack to see if a red light is showing or that if there is anything stuck in the port.

OP
C
Reaction score
Did as you suggested nothing changed, also could not see any red light coming from the Jack.
When I put the headphones in they work and appear in the output section as below pic.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.18.38 am.png

Okay. It appears your headphone digital sound output port is stuck on the headphone input which is why you're getting that message. When that happens, your speaker out won't appear.

Try sliding your headphone male plug in and out of the headphone input jack several times to see if you can get it back to normal. Sometimes a paper clip will also work.

Also... look closely into the jack to see if a red light is showing or that if there is anything stuck in the port.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There really isn't anything else you can do to unstick the headphone jack. We have seen this problem numerous times over the years.

The best solution now that you know the jack is stuck and can only use headphones, is to use a set of external speakers that attach by USB.

Of course if your MacBook Pro is still covered by an Apple Warranty, have it repaired by them.

One more thing we can try: Reset the SMC and also do a NVRAM reset. Let us know if that works.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks I will give it ago, cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.31.03 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.31.03 am.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.