No notifications iOS 15

Reaction score
No sound notifications for email on iPhone and iPad since IOS 15 upgrade. Did not make any other changes other than the upgrade. I have gone through all the suggested fixes online, but nothing. Evidently, I am not alone in this problem. I even reset the phone, rebooted, etc. and still no sounds. Thanks

Latest Spam Trigger Log Matches:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Try this:

Open Settings > Notifications > Mail > Allow Notifications.

Then, right at the bottom of that list, you will see, "Customise Notifications". Tap on it and set up what you want for each email account you have.

That should do it.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to what Ian advised you, make sure you do not have "Do Not Disturb" turned on from the "Focus" setting that is new in iOS 15 "Settings".

There has been much confusion over what the Focus settings do and do not do. If DND is on you will not get notifications.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Or any other of the four customisable Focus settings for that matter. I think a whole article could be written about Focus.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Or any other of the four customisable Focus settings for that matter. I think a whole article could be written about Focus.
Does that mean there's an article on your To Do list?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe🤣 once I get it all figured out myself.🤞🏻

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe🤣 once I get it all figured out myself.🤞🏻

Don't let trivial things like lack of understanding stop you.:rofl
In all seriousness. I have the problem with that feature. I don't understand it well enough to explain it to anyone.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reneeaz, I assume you had sounds for everything before? When you say no sounds are you just referring to Notifications or are you getting no sounds for anything?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the problem with that feature. I don't understand it well enough to explain it to anyone.

Hey Sly: You are not alone. Apparently even Apple has had a difficult time trying to explain why they removed an easy to use function such as DND and replaced it with Focus. Supposedly Focus takes care of the DND functions but it is confusing.

It took me three or four tries before I finally got it setup the way I had it before when using iOS 14.8.. And, I'm still not sure I'm receiving the notifications that I want. :unsure:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're confused I'm taking off my dunce cap now. In fairness to Apple, I haven't spent a lot of time with this feature yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It said Focus... that's enough for me. I mean I have never focused in my life - why start now? :rofl

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm the same as chscag, got the basics down but not yet readt to enter into the more complicated areas.
I get that you can set times for certain activities and apps that are allowed to intrude on these activities eg you can create custom sets other than the defaults, Work, Sleep, Personal and Do Not Disturb so I created one called Nap. I gave it a time sensitive trigger 4pm-5pm and selected certain apps that are allowed to disturb me during that time. I could just as easily have had none but I chose, Starred contacts (favourites) and repeated phone calls. I could have added iMessage or WhatsApp if I was expecting an important message.
My Sleep setting is also time activated at 10pm-8am and the same exceptions ie. Starred contacts and repeated phone calls.
I leave DND to use as a anytime option like before with the same above exceptions.

The rest of the settings like Location triggers for say, Exercise (when I get to the Gym) or Work ,when I get to my workplace don't apply to me.
I think the most important part is setting the "exceptions," apps that can disturb you during these set or selected periods. I pretty much have none for all.

Then there is Focus Status. I believe this is On by default. If you pick any of the Focus states like Sleep you go to the settings page for that state and under options you will see Focus Status, click on that and you get a page which explains the preference. To me it simply means that people or apps that try to notify/contact me receive a message to say that I presently have notifications silenced and they get the option to send anyway.
After the time expires you get a list of notifications that you missed during that focus period.
I have left this on.

So, you can see that really I'm using Focus pretty much as I would have used Do Not Disturb it just allows more automation, additional time schedules and different triggers plus the option to choose multiple exceptions.

If I was 21 again, had a 9 to 5 job, weekends off, regular gym program, yoga classes on Saturday morning and a community church meeting every Tuesday night I could see the value of a lot of all these options. For me, DND with the addition of Sleep (which we already had) is all I need.

Last edited:

jks

Reaction score
Try this:

Open Settings > Notifications > Mail > Allow Notifications.

Then, right at the bottom of that list, you will see, "Customise Notifications". Tap on it and set up what you want for each email account you have.

That should do it.

Ian
Thanks, that worked for me. Why can't Apple leave things alone?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The "Customise Notifications" is new to OS15 which seems to have caused some confusion.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.