No Line Input for 2016 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports. There is only ONE 3.5mm headphone jack. From what I understand this is to function both as an output and an input. However, When I go into the sound preferences the only thing that shows up under the name column is Internal Microphone and under the type column it says Built in.

I am trying to create an audio file of a record I have with an RCA cord to 3.5mm like I have with every Mac I've owned since 2003.
Why can I not see a line input? I refuse to believe that Apple would make a Macbook Pro without this other input.

What am I missing y'all?

Thank you in advance!

Alan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a microphone Apple sells that is compatible with 2016 MacBook Pro's (see the compatability list for all models).

Apogee HypeMiC Microphone - Apple

I'm not saying you must purchase this (since it's pretty expensive)...what it does show is that 2016 MacBook Pro's are capable of audio-in...just need the correct audio-in device.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area (Other Hardware).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can't see a line level input because the 3.5 mm jack is headphone only. Many previous Macs has a similar line in jack that this model seems not to have if I read the specs correctly. I used to do this using a Griffin Technology iMac adapter which seems to be no longer available. - except perhaps used on eBay.

I haven't used any of these devices personally but they provide the same capabilities and several specifically motion working with Macs. It might be worth making sure the vendor you order from has a good return policy. I've ordered some gizmos before that claimed to work with Macs, and should have, but didn't.

Another alternative is to connect the device you are trying to record from to an audio mixer which then connects to the Mac via USB. These devices are not as cheap as the devices linked to above, but they're a bit more versatile and can be had for well under $100 US if all you need is basic features.

krs

Reaction score
everymac.com shows a sound in and a sound out port for the 2016 MacBook Pro model.

If that is correct, then the headphone jack would be doing double duty and you need a 3.5mm 4 Pole 3 Ring Plug for audio in.
But that assumes everymac is correct and that is not always the case.

The other option is to use a simple 3.5mm jack to USB converter than can be bought for less than $10.-
But I have no experience how well those work, maybe some member has tried one.

In both cases, audio in would only be mono, not stereo.

Here is a possible cable that might work - again, maybe someone has actually tried this and can report back.

3.5mm 4 Pole 3 Ring Plug to 3 RCA Female Connector Adapter Audio Cable Lead | Walmart Canada

BTW - This issue -audio-in via the headphone jack has come up a number of times in this forum.
Someone must have tried it and can report back.
What doesn't help is that Apple is not clear at all which MacBook Pros have that capability and which don't.
The other thing to remember is that Macs typically have "Line Inputs" which are not suitable for most Mikes since their output level is too low.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.