No iOS 14?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Husband has iPhone SE, 16GB. Can't install iOS 14.8. Says there's a problem downloading the update. Capacity problem? Or?
Thanks for any help!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hullo again. Happy to help, but can you tell us - firstly whether this is the original iPhone SE from some years ago or the more recent model. I'm really trying to find out whether that model can take iOS 14.

If possible, can you tell us which iOS is currently on that iPhone as well.

If it is already on, say iOS 14.x then it can go to iOS 14.8 and maybe even iOS15.

16GB of storage is very small by today's standards and, again, it would help enormously if you could tell us how much free space is available. Open Settings > General > About and scroll down to near the bottom and you will see: Capacity 16GB and beneath that, Available... that's what we need to know.

Basically, the two most likely problems are (1) not enough free/available space or

(2) that model can't go up to iOS 14 - but that seems less likely especially if you can confirm that the iPhone is/is not already on iOS 14.x

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If this is indeed a 16 GB iPhone SE, it has to be the circa 2016 model. AFAIK the least amount of storage available on the newer model is 64 GB. Apple iPhone SE - Full phone specifications says that this vintage iPhone SE can go to IOS 15. Apple lists the first-generation SE as capable of running IOS 15, although it doesn't specify the 16 GB version. iOS 15

Although it seems like even the first generation, SE can run IOS 15, here are a few things to think about:

1. The issue you are having is likely due to limited space on the device. I have a similar problem with an iPad stuck on IOS 12. Installing IOS 15 will mean that you will have to back up your iPhone, delete some apps to create enough free space to install the update, then reinstall the deleted apps. Not a difficult task but perhaps a bit time-consuming.

2. Even with IOS 15 installed, some of the flashy new features won't be available, or at the very least, won't work well on that model. Check the list of features and their requirements listed on the Apple page above. It may be that your phone won't support the features you want.

Last edited:
OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hullo again. Happy to help, but can you tell us - firstly whether this is the original iPhone SE from some years ago or the more recent model. I'm really trying to find out whether that model can take iOS 14.

If possible, can you tell us which iOS is currently on that iPhone as well.

If it is already on, say iOS 14.x then it can go to iOS 14.8 and maybe even iOS15.

16GB of storage is very small by today's standards and, again, it would help enormously if you could tell us how much free space is available. Open Settings > General > About and scroll down to near the bottom and you will see: Capacity 16GB and beneath that, Available... that's what we need to know.

Basically, the two most likely problems are (1) not enough free/available space or

(2) that model can't go up to iOS 14 - but that seems less likely especially if you can confirm that the iPhone is/is not already on iOS 14.x

Ian
It's the original SE, with 13G used. Current iOS is 14.7, which is why I don't understand why it won't update. Message is "Software Update Failed: error occurred in downloading iOS14.8"

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this is indeed a 16 GB iPhone SE, it has to be the circa 2016 model. AFAIK the least amount of storage available on the newer model is 64 GB. Apple iPhone SE - Full phone specifications says that this vintage iPhone SE can go to IOS 15. Apple lists the first-generation SE as capable of running IOS 15, although it doesn't specify the 16 GB version. iOS 15

Although it seems like even the first generation, SE can run IOS 15, here are a few things to think about:

1. The issue you are having is likely due to limited space on the device. I have a similar problem with an iPad stuck on IOS 12. Installing IOS 15 will mean that you will have to back up your iPhone, delete some apps to create enough free space to install the update, then reinstall the deleted apps. Not a difficult task but perhaps a bit time-consuming.

2. Even with IOS 15 installed, some of the flashy new features won't be available, or at the very least, won't work well on that model. Check the list of features and their requirements listed on the Apple page above. It may be that your phone won't support the features you want.
There are no apps on this phone except the native ones, so there is nothing I can delete for him.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's the original SE, with 13G used. Current iOS is 14.7, which is why I don't understand why it won't update. Message is "Software Update Failed: error occurred in downloading iOS14.8"
I think we've identified the problem. IIRC most IOS updates need more free space than that to install. First I would try downloading the update again. If that doesn't work, the solution that occurs to me may work but I'd wait for others to comment before trying it.

1. Back up the phone (especially any personal files).
2. Completely erase the phone and treat it as though you are starting from scratch. I think that forces the OS to be installed first, followed by the rest of the default apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And.....

Think about buying Hubby a new phone. The iPhone SE 2020 model is moderately priced and the capacity starts at 64GB. Keep the older SE around as backup. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you sync the iPhone with a computer, then you should be able to connect it to the PC (winOS or macOS) and you should be able to do the upgrade through the PC software (iTunes or Music).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
15 needs 3.3 gigs of space and you have used up 13 gigs which means you need to free up space.
I have 2 X 32gigs 1st Gen Se for me and my wife using 13.6.1. I'd like to get iOS 14 but cannot find a place to download as I mistakenly let iOS 14 get by me. I see no need to upgrade any further as I hear too many complaints of battery life getting sucked up on greater than iOS 14.
Do you use all native apps? I have deleted some of the native apps that we never use to reduce my energy and keep more storage for other things.
I agree moving to a 2nd Gen SE would give a lot more phone at an economical price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I see no need to upgrade any further as I hear too many complaints of battery life getting sucked up on greater than iOS 14.
That complaint comes out with EVERY upgrade in version. It's usually due to the new version having default settings for brightness/connections, etc, that consume a lot of battery. I find my iPhone life has always be restored to what it was with a few tweaks to the defaults to get back to what I had before the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
That complaint comes out with EVERY upgrade in version. It's usually due to the new version having default settings for brightness/connections, etc, that consume a lot of battery. I find my iPhone life has always be restored to what it was with a few tweaks to the defaults to get back to what I had before the upgrade.
Really well then I have plenty of space on both 1st SE to easily run 15. Hummm
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.