No download progress shown for iOS updates in Finder in Catalina

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is infuriating. I discovered that my wife has been syncing her iPhone 11 to her MBP thinking that it was the same as backing up. Consequently when she accidentally clicked Reset Home Screen yesterday and I suggested she simply Restore from her backup I discovered her most recent backup was last year. I notice that the wording of that option in System Settings has been changed in iOS 13.6 to say, "Reset Home Screen Layout".
Anyway all her native apps ended up on the first home screen, all her folders disappeared and all of the rest of her apps are now in alphabetical order. Poor kid was just trying to change her lock screen picture.
She does have an iCloud backup but to erase the phone and restore from iCloud is a long process I was unwilling to undertake without a local backup as well. So this morning I thought I would back her phone up on her MBP via Finder as that's what she uses for sync but on connecting I found that there was an iOS update so I thought I'd do that first.
Mistake, I forgot what a pain it is in Finder, 20min now and no indication if the download is proceeding or hung. I guess I'll just have to give it an hour and see what happens. My concern is that the circling arrows next to the iPhone in the sidebar have stopped moving and I don't know what that means.:unsure:
The other issue is that according to the storage bar she has 28.6Gb of documents and data. I have never had anything like that amount so I'm a bit puzzled but that is yet to come. First the update.:mad:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Rod:

iCloud backups and restores take forever. I tried backing up to iCloud several times and finally gave up. I just backup to my iMac for both my wife's phone (iPhone 11) and my iPhone (iPhone 8). And since my iMac is backed up daily (CCC) and weekly (Time Machine) I can always go back to an older iPhone backup if it should become necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can open Activity Monitor, go to the Network tab and see if there is any up/down load traffic. That way you might be able to tell if the update has stalled.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You can open Activity Monitor, go to the Network tab and see if there is any up/down load traffic. That way you might be able to tell if the update has stalled.
Yeah, I suppose that would at least tell me if it's hung. Either way it's not very satisfactory and it seems like a progress bar would not have been a hard thing to incorporate into the window. It has finally finished downloading, I note I posted the above post 54min ago so an hour was about right.

Now I just need to work out where all these documents and data are.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
This is infuriating. I discovered that my wife has been syncing her iPhone 11 to her MBP thinking that it was the same as backing up.

I'm confused. Every time I sync my iPhone, it performs a backup as part of that process. However, I have mine set to backup to my Mac (not iCloud). So maybe it performs a backup as part of the syncing process only if you have the option set to back up to your Mac.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused. Every time I sync my iPhone, it performs a backup as part of that process. However, I have mine set to backup to my Mac (not iCloud). So maybe it performs a backup as part of the syncing process only if you have the option set to back up to your Mac.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I should have made that clearer. It was backing up, but to iCloud not to her Mac Book Pro. As stated, "She does have an iCloud backup but to erase the phone and restore from iCloud is a long process I was unwilling to undertake without a local backup as well." So her most recent local backup was last year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.