No Backlight

Reaction score
I had an obnoxious blue line on my the screen of my early 2008 15 MBP. Couldn't find any loose connections so I picked up a used display. It works except that now I don't have a backlight. I tried putting the old one back and don't have a backlight on it either. What did I miss? The connections are pretty straight forward.

OP
C
Reaction score
Tried zapping the prom, no joy. For some reason I can't connect to either my monitor or tv with either the MBP or my old PowerBook G4. Luckily I have file sharing on my I pad so I have access to my files in the MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had an obnoxious blue line on my the screen of my early 2008 15 MBP. Couldn't find any loose connections so I picked up a used display. It works except that now I don't have a backlight. I tried putting the old one back and don't have a backlight on it either. What did I miss? The connections are pretty straight forward.

The 2008 model uses a fluorescent type tube for the backlight. The tube could be defective in the new display (that's where it's located). Or the backlight inverter might be bad, and lastly, you may have blown the backlight fuse on the logic board when installing the new display. You can google the fuse problem and its location. You might want to take a look at the take apart instructions from www.ifixit.com.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm guessing I blew the fuse. The backlight worked on the old screen before, now neither works.

OP
C
Reaction score
Where is the fuse on my early 2008 MacBook Pro A1260? I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have way too much in it in the last year to shelve it now but don't see how I can possibly put much more into it.

OP
C
Reaction score
I inquired with a service tech and was told that the backlight on the A1260 isn't powered by the logic board. He said to replace the dc/usb board. $14 later I'm using it. It seems that I missed something and didn't bet the cam hooked up right. Now If somebody asks if I have a cam, I can truthfully say it's not working, but will eventually go back in there and see what's loose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.