No audio output from TV

Reaction score
Laptop: 13'' Macbook Pro 2009

When I purchased a mini display HDMI adapter on Amazon and when I tried to use it there was no audio. I found this link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2639905?start=60&tstart=0 and others are having a similar issue. One member on that forum suggested using a male to male audio jack, which I did. I connected one end to my macbook audio jack port and the other end to the TV's, but there are no sound still...What can be the problem?

System Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Headphones

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The 2009 MBP does not have audio available via it's mini displayport.

See post # 3 here.

The "only" option other than what is in that post is if your TV has a HDMI port that is labeled as DVI/HDMI.

If it does, you can connect using "only" that one HDMI port and then via whichever audio input the TV has - stereo mini-plug or RCA and then you'll have to go into the TV's settings to get the audio working - time to open up the owner's manual for your TV.

You can also read post # 1, and read through some of the original thread which is linked there.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Tom: I actually came across exactly that sort of HDTV in a recent stay in Long Island. It had a DVI/HDMI port (which was just a regular HDMI female port) and a separate audio input. Worked fine once I figured that bit out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, some TVs that have the DVI/HDMI port will auto detect whether the audio is coming in via the HDMI or the audio in port and just work - some of them you have to go into the TV's settings and tell it to use the audio port.

The easiest way for many is to get one of the adapters in the link above that combines the audio/video prior to getting to the TV.
Particularly with many of the TVs with only 1 or 2 HDMI ports will not have that DVI/HDMI nor will they have the capability to watch via HDMI and listen via a separate audio input.

OP
O
Reaction score
The 2009 MBP does not have audio available via it's mini displayport.

See post # 3 here.

The "only" option other than what is in that post is if your TV has a HDMI port that is labeled as DVI/HDMI.

If it does, you can connect using "only" that one HDMI port and then via whichever audio input the TV has - stereo mini-plug or RCA and then you'll have to go into the TV's settings to get the audio working - time to open up the owner's manual for your TV.

You can also read post # 1, and read through some of the original thread which is linked there.

Thank you. But when I connected RCA plug from my macbook pro to the TV there is still no sound. Can it be the setting on my TV? My TV is a Sharp Aquos lc-70le732u, and this is the plug I am using

medium_1.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to get the Owner's Manual out and read it.
If you have misplaced it - here is a link where you can download it.

Starting on page 10...
You must use HDMI # 1
You must use the "Audio In" port which is a 3.5 mm port - not one of the RCA audio ports that are for composite connections (Video 1 & Video 2) and Component connections.
Notice the "*3" next to the Audio In port note letting you know to go from there and read page 56 for setting up the audio.

This is one of the best manuals I've ever seen - it tells/shows you how to do it no less than 4 times.

Also see pgs 12, 13 & 16 for additional diagrams and directions.
Read all the sections for DVI-HDMI connections and the directions for setting up the audio.

And for everyone - get use to it - you want to learn how to use many of today's TV or audio receivers - the Owner's Manual is your friend.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.