Newbie with question !

Reaction score
Hi Guys

apologies if im posting this in the wrong section.

I have a G4 Powerbook with OSX tiger. 10.4.8. i have been frantically trying to figure out how to copy some of my AVI files on to an External DVDRW. I cant seem to do it at all, i have toast titanium, Popcorn and patchburn, none of which seem to let me do it, as it will only let me select Video TS files.

Is there some kind of freeware software that is available, which will let me copy AVI files onto a DVD for use in a DVD player?

Thanks for all your help, im a bit new to mac!

Cheers
Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think avi files can just be 'burned' for use in a DVD player. They would need to be converted to another format. I think quicktime formats are more DVD friendly. I don't currently use any video conversion software, but a quick search at versiontracker should give you some options.

Once they're in a quicktime format, you could use iDVD to burn them into a DVD readable format.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't do this myself, at least not on my Mac yet, but found some other posts regarding this.
You will need to re-encode to a different format.
Two options I found which require no additional software:

Just drop the avi file into Toast 8 and it will convert it to DVD format - takes a long, long time - toast has no online user guide so this is about as much as I can tell you

Or, import your avi into iMovie and then into iDVD - no indication of how long from the posts I read.

A free app, I'm seeing a lot of discussion about is ffmpegX - it looks like it may be a very nice app

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.