Newbie cannot get imessage/facetime working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, just wanted to make sure you had the 2FA connections sorted out. Sounds like you do. Good luck with it!

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, just wanted to make sure you had the 2FA connections sorted out. Sounds like you do. Good luck with it!

I have to get this thing returned before it gets any weirder. All i did was update safari like it prompted me to and it got stuck on the apple loading screen. The seller told me to just power down and on again and it will go to the desktop as normal. But it didn't do that. It keeps getting stuck there. And without the use of system applications to begin with i see no point in keeping this. I will look for something else or give up on my apple adventure. I thought I would have a good experience with apple. This has been a friggin nightmare. The fact that iMessage commonly has this error with no universal fix is really telling and unfortunate. I have spent close to 24 hours to get a macbook to work. Yes my windows laptop was slow but ****. It wasnt 24 hours of waiting for system programs or apps to work slow. I might try again or i might throw in the towel. This experience hasnt been worth it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I missed it, but the the Internet recovery and installation of the operating system work? I would get the machine running, get comfortable with the way Macs work in the Apple ecology and then maybe try the messages issue later.

OP
R
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but the the Internet recovery and installation of the operating system work? I would get the machine running, get comfortable with the way Macs work in the Apple ecology and then maybe try the messages issue later.

Its not even imessge. I got the system to recover and then i got on my desktop. Safari wanted to update. It did that and restarted. After that it got stuck on the apple loading and boot screen. The seller told me to let him send a new hard drive and i could try that since it looks like my harddrive is defective.

My husband says if its a defective harddrive that could explain the issues with imessage but he asked me to get a newer model macbook and get a refund.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would agree with a newer model. 2011 was quite a while ago in computer terms. Also, some of the 2011 models had issues with the Graphics chips and were subject to a recall that has ended now. I don't know what your budget might be, but if the seller will take it back and refund you, I would go that way and look for something newer.

OP
R
Reaction score
I would agree with a newer model. 2011 was quite a while ago in computer terms. Also, some of the 2011 models had issues with the Graphics chips and were subject to a recall that has ended now. I don't know what your budget might be, but if the seller will take it back and refund you, I would go that way and look for something newer.

The seller has agreed to a refund. I can do up to 500 or 550 on a used model. i found one on macs of all trades in my budget. Its a 2015 macbook air. I dont need a powerhouse. It is just for school. But my husband wants to edit video occasionally so maybe still need a pro?
I only paid 360 for the 2011 but with a refund and some other funds i can go 550

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It really infuriates me when sellers insist on setting up a device before sale. The instructions for selling or giving away a used Mac are easily found and they all include things like signing out of iMessages, iTunes, iCloud, ect. as well as deauthorising the device from their iTunes account. This ensures there are no personal settings or preferences left behind.
Then they just follow the first set of instructions I gave you, boot into recovery, reinstall the original macOS via WiFi the quit and shut down. Meaning what you should see when you start up would be the Welcome Screen with Hola, Bien Venue, etc where you pick your language, location and so on.

Just FYI, here are the instructions;

When preparing to sell or give away your Mac, you may want to erase some or all files from its hard drive. But first determine whether you should back up your computer and disable certain features and services. These steps show the recommended sequence of actions:

1. Deauthorize your computer from iTunes, if applicable.
2. Back up your data using Time Machine or other backup methods for OS X Mavericks or Mountain Lion.
3. If you use Find My Mac or other iCloud features on this Mac, complete these steps:
1. Back up your iCloud content.
2. Choose Apple Menu () > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
3. Deselect the Find My Mac checkbox.
4. Sign out of iCloud. When you sign out of iCloud, you're asked whether you want to remove iCloud data from your Mac. Removing iCloud data in this way makes sure that the data isn't also removed from any of your other devices that are using the same iCloud account.
4. If you're using OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 or later, sign out of iMessage:
1. In the Messages app, choose Preferences > Accounts.
2. Select your iMessage account, then click Sign Out.
5. Reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X. Follow the appropriate instructions:
· OS X Mavericks
· OS X Mountain Lion
· OS X Lion
After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead, press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac, the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

These are a little old but the principals remain the same.

Anyway so much for my little rant. Hopefully your instal of High Sierra goes smoothly and iMessage works for you. You will need to go to Contacts and fill in your personal data, phone number, email address etc as well and this should match the data in your Apple Account.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I already started the return process for the clunky macbook.
So I am going to start a new thread about what to buy next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.