Newbie cannot get imessage/facetime working

Reaction score
Hi I am just now dipping my toes into the Apple Ecosystem but I am starting with just this MacBook Pro and moving to other stuff when I get the chance. Anyway, even with my "dinosaur" aged MacBook Pro (Late 2011) I am having a good start except for one problem. I mean it runs smoothly and for the most part I get the commands on it. The trouble I am having is I really wanted to use iMessage on this thing but. I cannot seem to get these things to believe me that I am in fact connected to the internet. I just created my username and password today for iCloud so its not an issue of having forgotten my information. iMessage actually tries to tell me to check my internet connection. Which is fine. I am using my internet connection to write this message on this forum.
I have tried restarting the computer and updating the security stuff for it as well since I just got it today. I have tried closing iMessage and FaceTime all together and then restarting the whole thing. And tried reopening it. I guess my last resort would be to factory reset my mbpro but I would prefer not to go that route if there's a "For dummies" solution here.
I have Googled the heck out of the solutions and either they do not apply or I am not understanding them. So if you explain it to me, give it to me in simple, layman's terms. I never was very tech savvy. I just want those features to feel like I have the "Full" experience.
Any help at all, as long as its respectful, would be appreciated.

Specs
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Macbook Pro 13 inch (Late 2011)
2.4 Ghz intel core i5
8 GB 1600 mhz ddr3 ram
1tb SATA HD

Last update was done on the software a few hours ago. It went fine. I just cannot get into iMessage but when I log in with the information on iCloud.com and those services, it works fine. If you need, I can make a screenshot of the iMessage errors and FaceTime doesn't even bother giving me an error it just sits there on that loading thing forever. I can't seem to figure it out. Send help. :giggle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Just so you know, iMessage (Messages) only work on Apple devices, unless you have them associated with an active iPhone phone number, then they will work across any SMS/MMS messaging devices.

When you are in Messages, open Preferences, under Messages, which options are enabled?

OP
R
Reaction score
I know that bit about it only working on Apple devices. Thats why I mentioned my Apple specs for my MacBook Pro. Everyone in my family has iMessage it seems so it was a good choice on top of the fact that I prefer this for ease of use for school work.

Under Preferences it has
Accounts and a General Tab

Under the general tab it has
"Default IM app: Messages"
Keep Messages: Forever (drop down of course)
Application: With checkbox options as follows: Save History when conversations are closed, Notify me about messages from unknown contacts, Notify when my name is mentioned, Play sound effects
Message received sound: Note
Save files to: Download
And text size

Under Accounts it has
my name at iCloud.com off on the left side then it has a sign in option in the middle but it can't sign in. It has red lettering An error occurred during authentication. I know the username and password are correct as I was allowed to sign in to my iCloud email and into my App Store. I signed out of both and turned off my wifi and restarted my computer and it still says authentication error. Except now it says "An error occurred during activation. Try again later" After I hit next. There's not much else to look at in message preferences that I can see.

OP
R
Reaction score
First thing says
Check that your Apple ID account in both the Messages and FaceTime Apps is enabled. I guess if I cannot get past the first thing I cannot do that, right? Do I just skip that part?

OP
R
Reaction score
My timezones are correct
I assume that High Sierra version 10.13.6 is the highest this old of a model can handle because that's what the refurbisher guys put in there.
I checked that the Apple ID is correct
I have not reset the NVRAM/PRAM I will try that.
I have tried to launch my iMessage from the application folder instead of the dock but I can't seem to take it off the dock anyway it opens from the dock when I open it in the application folder anyhow.
I don't suppose I can actually call Apple to find out if my computer has a spam block? This is a new install and a refurbed model. I don't see why it would but since the computer is old they probably won't help me now?

Ok going to try the following:
Deleting my information entirely out of keychain
Resetting the PRAM etc.
Logging myself out of all the other applications that need my iCloud email and turning off wifi again and resetting that.Will report back.

Update: Reset the PRAM, deleted all the information from Keychain, logged myself out of all applications associated with my account, restart my computer, checked the timezone (its perfect) Logged back into the wifi and made sure that it was on the highest performing one. It is. I wonder if I temporary utilize ethernet to at least get it going if that will make a difference. I don't have any malware stuff or firewalls set up that I know of. I am totally lost on if I am even doing everything the best possible way but I did follow the directions for restarting the PRAM so that is definitely taken care of.

Update: Tried to put it on ethernet and that didn't change anything. The error is still that "Try connecting to the network." It is very much connected to the network.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
I think I am down to my last resort which is to factory reset my MacBook Pro. Is there an easyish way to approach this? Do I need to download the OS on a jump drive? I have tried every step from everything and watched countless videos. This is way harder than it should be for a system program. I can't do it tonight but any feedback on whether I should do a factory reset on the computer would be appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
One question: when you got this device did it startup with the setup wizard? That is, had it been erased and setup as a new machine? If not there is a good chance that preferences, settings and connection data has been left over from the previous user.
Shortcut; if it came with High Sierra installed then the answer to above is probably no.
To achieve what should have been done before you got it you will need to either; boot from the recovery partition and Reinstall Mac OS. This will erase, reformat and install the macOS that came with the device when it was new. You can then setup the device as your own. You will then need to upgrade it to High Sierra by downloading the installer from the App Store.
Alternatively you can download the High Sierra installer and create a bootable macOS Installer on a USB thumb drive using a third party app which I advise called Instal Disk Creator from MacDaddy.io.
You can then boot from the thumb drive, erase the Macintosh HD reformat and map and instal a fresh copy of High Sierra.

OP
R
Reaction score
It was already set up and had a password which they gave it to me. It came with High Sierra installed. Can I reinstall High Sierra if I boot to the original OS that came with the system?
I think that's actually what you are saying I can actually do. So I will try that. It seems the least complicated. Will update whenever this is done booting to the original OS.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ugh i messed up my macbook. Its giving me a prohibitory symbol and i cant get in to reinstall mac os. Omg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Have a read here:
About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

and here:
How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

The one tricky part is that when it says to "hold" a key combination, you keep holding it until you see what they say you will see. If you let go too soon, the system will revert to a normal boot, which will fail and show the barred circle or question mark.

If you are trying this over WiFi, early on it will ask for the WiFi password. Be ready to give that when asked.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok i am in disk utility. Do i just completely erase the hd and then install mac os?

OP
R
Reaction score
I am installing mac os on a partition i created after erasing the harddrive. Its rebooting now. I created a brand new email address so i can create a whole new apple id. I figure i might be better off if i start totally fresh on this system.

I am not totally sure what else to do if that error with imessage persists after this. The laptop automatically let me choose high sierra so i dont suppose reverting to an older version will help either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
No, reverting to an older OS will not help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wondering if you are caught by 2FA? Two Factor Authentication (I think that's right) is Apple's security method of making sure you are you. When you first log in on any device to your iCloud account, Apple sends a six digit authentication code to the mobile number or devices you have registered at Apple. You then enter those six digits into the security prompt on the system you are trying to use. So, when you log into Messages, the system sends to your mobile phone the six digits to authorize Messages on your new Mac. You should only have to do that once.

Could it be that you haven't set up the Apple ID with a mobile phone number that works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be that you haven't set up the Apple ID with a mobile phone number that works?
To use Messages (iMessage)To use Messages (iMessage), it does not need to be set up with a mobile phone number. With no number, it will still reach other Apple ID's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is true, Bob, but what about signing in? Since Messages is a component of iCloud, and iCloud uses 2FA, does he not have to be logged in to the iCloud account for Messages to work? I cannot answer that because I have my iPhone in my account and have done so since the beginning. All I am thinking is that Apple is sending a 2FA that isn't being responded to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is true, Bob, but what about signing in? Since Messages is a component of iCloud, and iCloud uses 2FA, does he not have to be logged in to the iCloud account for Messages to work? I cannot answer that because I have my iPhone in my account and have done so since the beginning. All I am thinking is that Apple is sending a 2FA that isn't being responded to.
Any telephone number can be used with 2FA or 2SV. I have 2 Apple ID's, and one has our landline as a verified number. It still works, but I do agree, they need to verify their Apple ID with that device, before it will successfully connect/work with the Apple system.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am wondering if you are caught by 2FA? Two Factor Authentication (I think that's right) is Apple's security method of making sure you are you. When you first log in on any device to your iCloud account, Apple sends a six digit authentication code to the mobile number or devices you have registered at Apple. You then enter those six digits into the security prompt on the system you are trying to use. So, when you log into Messages, the system sends to your mobile phone the six digits to authorize Messages on your new Mac. You should only have to do that once.

The phone I icloud with did receive the code. I put the 6 digit code in that was texted to me in on sign up because Idk about anyone else here but that wouldnt let me sign up for iCloud anyway without the code it texted my phone.

I have reinstalled mac os high sierra and created a brand new iCloud email account which i already verified my phone number with the code I was sent. I have not yet tried to log on to iMessage since reinstalling the OS because as soon as the install was through safari needed to update. So I am waiting for that update.

Once that is done in about a minute, I will update here if my problem is solved or nah

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.