• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New UK Macsite

S

sealey

I am currently developing a mac site aimed at mac users in the UK providing news, opinion, rumours, tutorials, downloads etc. it is still in the early stages of development but i would welcome you all to give me feedback and sugesstions of what would make a great mac site. The Forum section of my site is now fully up and running and I have started compiling a directory of other Mac sites.

The URL is

http://www.macland.co.uk/

All feedback is appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Looks too.... blue and plain white. It just feels weird looking at those colours. Maybe u can add something like borders or some subtle background. :rolleyes:

OP
S

sealey

Colour Change

Definately going to change the colours, just used blue and white temperarily as I was getting the layout right.

OP
B

Bluewolf

Huzzah! A UK Mac forum, I didn't think any existed hence I joined this one. ;)

Although now on registering I am unable to post! So instead I shall make my first Macland post here:

The colour scheme and logo need a rethink, otherwise it is looking interesting.

OP
S

sealey

Posting Problems

Are you getting any error messages when trying to post on Macland? WHich Forum were you trying to post in?

Am going to rethink the logo and colours in a week or two once the site is fully up and running without any bugs.

Richard Seale

Bluewolf said:
Huzzah! A UK Mac forum, I didn't think any existed hence I joined this one. ;)

Although now on registering I am unable to post! So instead I shall make my first Macland post here:

The colour scheme and logo need a rethink, otherwise it is looking interesting.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Pretty much what everyone else said, it's too blue and purple.

The logo needs more work done to it. The whole page really feels like it's just floating there. There's hardly any structure. Part of a good site is it looking like a good site. So, you've definitely got some work cut out for you.

It seems like you do have the content, so that's at least a step in the right direction.

My advice for the site, figure out what you like about the design of macs, be it the hardware, or software and base the design off of that. There's a subtle, eloquent, simplicity to macs, and you need to try to capture that for the type of site you're building.

OP
S

sealey

My plan is to get all the content and technical work done this week and spend all next week looking at layout, strucure, colours and graphics. Would welcome any sugesstions though on what colour schemes you think would work.

RobDreugan said:
Pretty much what everyone else said, it's too blue and purple.

The logo needs more work done to it. The whole page really feels like it's just floating there. There's hardly any structure. Part of a good site is it looking like a good site. So, you've definitely got some work cut out for you.

It seems like you do have the content, so that's at least a step in the right direction.

My advice for the site, figure out what you like about the design of macs, be it the hardware, or software and base the design off of that. There's a subtle, eloquent, simplicity to macs, and you need to try to capture that for the type of site you're building.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Really don't know what to say other than... Using silver or white for a base color, would be a good start. Again going with the mac color scheme.

I'd try to stay away from the blue/white/grey/black scheme, although it looks nice it's just really over used.

What might help u is to look at several things.

http://www.coolhomepages.com
http://www.phpnuke.com
http://www.csszengarden.com

They'll give you some ideas with layout, colors etc. Without actually having more on your page, there's not a whole lot of suggestions I can give a blank canvas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.