New to MAC, just got my MacBook 6,1!

Reaction score
:D

Just got my new MacBook! The latest build, 6,1. The prettiest thing I've seen(besides my fiance). I've been a windows user/pc user for years. This is my first MAC. I am in love with it. Runs so fast(4GB of RAM). Just loving everything.

I have a few questions though if the more experienced dont mind answering.

1) Can I as a user upgrade the RAM one day? Im sure I'll need a boost to 6GB or 8gb(unofficially supported) one day. Is it easy to do? I have a 320GB HD, I have about 200GB left :) wont need a new HD in a year or so I think. I heard Crucial had good prices, but when I looked I only saw 2gb versions, I thought the MacBook stacked 1gb on top of each other.

2) I purchased a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI for TV output. I can't have sound through the HDMI?(Im on 10.6.2) No way to enable it? I suppose I'll have to use the optical out through the headphone jack.

3) Is AppleCare worth the $250. I have my one year until Feb 2011, should I purchase applcare in Jan 2011?

4) How to clean it? Im not a messy person, so I dont imagine many scrathes r stains on it, but I know I'll put smudges on it. I purchased a ZAGG shield, just like I did for my iPhone.

Thanks all, Im happy Im now a MAC person, I'll never go back to PC/WINDDOWS again!

Have a great day all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
:D

Just got my new MacBook! The latest build, 6,1. The prettiest thing I've seen(besides my fiance). I've been a windows user/pc user for years. This is my first MAC. I am in love with it. Runs so fast(4GB of RAM). Just loving everything.

I have a few questions though if the more experienced dont mind answering.

1) Can I as a user upgrade the RAM one day? Im sure I'll need a boost to 6GB or 8gb(unofficially supported) one day. Is it easy to do? I have a 320GB HD, I have about 200GB left :) wont need a new HD in a year or so I think. I heard Crucial had good prices, but when I looked I only saw 2gb versions, I thought the MacBook stacked 1gb on top of each other.

2) I purchased a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI for TV output. I can't have sound through the HDMI?(Im on 10.6.2) No way to enable it? I suppose I'll have to use the optical out through the headphone jack.

3) Is AppleCare worth the $250. I have my one year until Feb 2011, should I purchase applcare in Jan 2011?

4) How to clean it? Im not a messy person, so I dont imagine many scrathes r stains on it, but I know I'll put smudges on it. I purchased a ZAGG shield, just like I did for my iPhone.

Thanks all, Im happy Im now a MAC person, I'll never go back to PC/WINDDOWS again!

Have a great day all

1. Yes, easy to do. Your Mac should even come with instructions to install new RAM. Also, there are videos on apple.com and youtube. 4gb is plenty unless you're doing some serious video rendering, etc. But to each his own if you feel like spending that much. 2 RAM slots. So for 4GB, it would be 2x2GB sticks, and so on. For HDD or RAM, you can look at Crucial, OWC (macsales.com), or Newegg.com.

2. Yup, audio out is through the "headphone jack" on your Mac.

3. No comment. I didn't get Applecare cause I'm broke and this machine cost me enough as it is, but I'm sure lots of people would recommend it.

4. I never used any screen shield. Just dry wipe with the cloth that comes with your Mac. I sometimes will use monitor wipes if they are alcohol-free, but someone else might say not to do that. So don't blame me if it messes up your screen. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
1. Yes, easy to do. Your Mac should even come with instructions to install new RAM. Also, there are videos on apple.com and youtube. 4gb is plenty unless you're doing some serious video rendering, etc. But to each his own if you feel like spending that much. 2 RAM slots. So for 4GB, it would be 2x2GB sticks, and so on. For HDD or RAM, you can look at Crucial, OWC (macsales.com), or Newegg.com.

2. Yup, audio out is through the "headphone jack" on your Mac.

3. No comment. I didn't get Applecare cause I'm broke and this machine cost me enough as it is, but I'm sure lots of people would recommend it.

4. I never used any screen shield. Just dry wipe with the cloth that comes with your Mac. I sometimes will use monitor wipes if they are alcohol-free, but someone else might say not to do that. So don't blame me if it messes up your screen. :)

Your macbook came with a cloth? mine didnt" :(. I ordered it new too! arghhhhh maybe I'll have to check the puch the OS discs came in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
Are you SURE it didn't come with the microfiber cloth? It is black, and was in the bottom of the accessories box in a cellophane sleeve.

I bought mine refurbished, and it included the cloth.

I didn't buy Applecare yet either. Too broke to drop another $200+ right away. I like this computer quite a bit, but it is sure a lot more expensive than a PC. Not just the purchase price, but the software, support, and accessories too.

Reaction score
Are you SURE it didn't come with the microfiber cloth? It is black, and was in the bottom of the accessories box in a cellophane sleeve.

It looks sort of like a black envelope in a cellophane sleeve. You should probably send it back if you didn't get one. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score

I didn't buy Applecare yet either. Too broke to drop another $200+ right away. I like this computer quite a bit, but it is sure a lot more expensive than a PC. Not just the purchase price, but the software, support, and accessories too.

I suppose I'll search the box again, everything is still in my home office so I will check it out. Maybe I over looked it in my box cracking joy :)

It looks sort of like a black envelope in a cellophane sleeve. You should probably send it back if you didn't get one. ;)

LOL, send it back! I can't its been only a few days and its attached to my hip! haha;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
3. Rule of thumb: always buy AppleCare for laptops and Mac Minis, don't bother for other desktop Macs. (not MACs!)

4. No special computer cloth required to "dust off" the LCD screen - use a fabric softener sheet that you put in the clothes dryer. (Sorry, no link for that, but it was a reputable source.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.