New to Apple

Reaction score
. . Hello, , I am considering an Apple MC015LL/B. . What do I need to know? ? Is it still updateable? ? Any problems getting programs? ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

According to that model number, it's a 2009-2010 20" iMac. That machine has long been declared by Apple to be vintage. Which means no parts from Apple or support. As far as updating it, what exactly about it do you want to update?

krs

Reaction score
Depends what you want to use it for and how much it is.
This is a mid 2009 model, rated a obsolete by Apple.
Software can be upgraded to macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) maximum - that will be five software releases behind "BigSur" which is in Beta now.
I still have Macs in the family on the X10.11.6 software - that is a very stable release.
But I see many new programs coming out require X10.12 or later.
That Mac is fine for casual use,but it's a dead end softwarewise, I also would not buy a Mac now that doesn't support at least USB 3.
It supports FW800 which is fast but FW800 peripherals tend to be pricey compared to USB 3
Privewise I wouldn't pay more than about $US250.-

Probably not the Mac to get into the "Mac Universe with" - it will give you the wrong idea about the performance of the Mac and the macOS
Think about it - a Windows PC that is 11 years old would have ended up in the landfill years ago.In our office we replace Windows PC's every two years - three years max.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is a 2009 model iMac I believe which would be limited to macOS Sierra or perhaps High Sierra. These are 3 or 4 year old operating systems respectively and will be both unsupported by Apple for security updates and maybe incompatible with recent iPhone/iPad operating systems.
Having said that it is dependant on what you want to use it for but bear in mind it is 11 years old and Apple's operating systems have evolved quite a lot in that time as has the software designed for it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do not waste your money. First tell us what your budget is, second tell us what you would use the computer for and then we'll tell you what machine to get.

Macs are NOT like PCs when it comes to their age and so on, so it definitely matters what vintage machine you buy.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I appreciate it's probably a bit of a disappointment to you especially if the device was cheap. It's a nice looking computer but I agree with krs, it's not the best device for an introduction to the "Mac Universe". You might have noticed that we always ask users to tell us what device they have and what macOS they are on. This is because each device has unique caperbilities and each macOS has distinct differences in applications and functions.
I would suggest a device no more than 3-4 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.