New to Apple products: help me chose proper specs!

F

fiz

Hey:

I'm new to these forums as well as the Apple world in general, so i'm rather lost as to what would be the best machine for me.

I'm a frugal student, so I'm trying to go for the minimum for what I would need. Particularly, proecssor/RAM combos.

There are some good deals out there for loaded 867mhz G4s. So my question is this: I primarily use photoshop, matlab and mathematica -- would 867 mhz (with, say, 640 mb of RAM) suffice for a Powerbook, or would it be worth shelling out the extra dough for, say, a 1.25 ghz one or at least a 1 ghz one?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
fiz said:
Hey:
<snip>
I primarily use photoshop, matlab and mathematica -- would 867 mhz (with, say, 640 mb of RAM) suffice for a Powerbook, or would it be worth shelling out the extra dough for, say, a 1.25 ghz one or at least a 1 ghz one?
Thanks!
Since the RAM is 640, this is well worth considering if the savings is a lot

OP
T

TylerMoney

you should be just dandy with the 876, but it's fun to have the more power...especially since the recent update...either way, you're good.

OP
F

fiz

I just buckled and bought a Powerbook 12" G4 1.33 ghz.

I wonder how long it will take to get here, considering I left all the options for the BTO as default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.