New SE arrived but no way to charge it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just got my new SE today and discovered they don’t send anything to charge it with. There’s a cord, but no charger adapter. My old iPhone used a usb connection. That won’t work. Why wouldn’t they tell customers they need to buy extra stuff to make it work? I’m very tempted to send it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Welcome to Apple's attempt to save the ecosystem. It seems they deemed that the little block chargers were no longer necessary as we all are supposed to have one already or plan to use a computer to charge our phones or use wireless charging - if our phone will use it. I just believe it was there way to save a few bucks - like they were not already making enough on each phone.

Now you can buy a charging block from Apple for the low price of $19 + tax

There are also cheaper options on Amazon too. But either way I am not thrilled they made this change.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to Apple's attempt to save the ecosystem. It seems they deemed that the little block chargers were no longer necessary as we all are supposed to have one already or plan to use a computer to charge our phones or use wireless charging - if our phone will use it. I just believe it was there way to save a few bucks - like they were not already making enough on each phone.

Now you can buy a charging block from Apple for the low price of $19 + tax

There are also cheaper options on Amazon too. But either way I am not thrilled they made this change.

Lisa
Thank you Lisa. After spending all that money for a phone, I wouldn’t have thought much about spending a little more for a charger. What irks me is they don’t bother
to tell you when you make your purchase. It’s like buying a car and the salesman forgets to mention tires will cost you extra.

Reaction score
Leaving the power adaptor out of the SE package is a cheeseball move on Apple's part. I recently bought an SE and shelled out for the adaptor.

What are the options for charging in our cars?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Leaving the power adaptor out of the SE package is a cheeseball move on Apple's part. I recently bought an SE and shelled out for the adaptor.

Go to Amazon, type in "Car Charger iPhone" and start the search. Hundreds of options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got my new SE today and discovered they don’t send anything to charge it with. There’s a cord, but no charger adapter. My old iPhone used a usb connection. That won’t work. Why wouldn’t they tell customers they need to buy extra stuff to make it work? I’m very tempted to send it back.
That cord can go in any USB power source, even the USB port on a computer. It will be slow on a computer, but faster if you get an external unit. Anker makes some good ones. Check at Amazon.

OP
B
Reaction score

I received a request from Apple to fill out a survey on my recent purchase. I had fun completing it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, all you need is a USB C to USB A adapter cord and you can use any regular charger that you already have.

You can buy that adapter cord most anywhere: Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc. Cost is less than $10.

No need to buy an expensive USB C charger.

OP
B
Reaction score
Actually, all you need is a USB C to USB A adapter cord and you can use any regular charger that you already have.

You can buy that adapter cord most anywhere: Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc. Cost is less than $10.

No need to buy an expensive USB C charger.
Thanks Chscag, but I already ordered the charger from Amazon. The extra cost isn’t the issue as much as how Apple treats its customers. My old iPhone died and now I have to spend another day without a phone. I have people who depend on me to be a text or phone call away in case of an emergency. Excuse my frustration and thanks for letting me vent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, when Apple made the decision it got a lot of press, both good and bad. Good for the environment, bad because people wanted a charger. Apple can't win on this one, but I'm behind the decision they made. I have way too many of those little white blobs to need another one.

OP
B
Reaction score
Actually, when Apple made the decision it got a lot of press, both good and bad. Good for the environment, bad because people wanted a charger. Apple can't win on this one, but I'm behind the decision they made. I have way too many of those little white blobs to need another one.
My point and my objection is Apple should make it clear to prospective customers that they won’t be able to charge their new phone without a certain type of little white blob. I would have gladly added it to my order.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, the fact that Apple stopped including earbuds and chargers with their new iPhones has been in the web news since last fall. Here's one example:

I know that doesn't help for folks who do not browse for Apple news, and I agree that Apple could have been more forthcoming about what's in or not in the box of new iPhones.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes; I think the simplest thing Apple should do is to make a statement at the time of purchase saying this is what you get - plus "a charger is not included in an attempt to limit climate damage, but if you don't have one already, add it to your purchase".

All bases covered (isn't that what you Americans say?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, telling a person who is ordering a new phone that there will not be a charger included would have been a very nice thing to do. Seems like a no brainer to me especially since they pride themselves on customer care and there is also the other benefit of making a few more bucks. :p

Lisa

Reaction score

Cars are good for the environment without gasoline. Guns are safe without cartridges. I appreciate the line of argument, but I find it oddly dissatisfying. Shortly after I bought my SE and power adaptor, my computer had a problem and had to be sent in for repair. Without the adaptor, that would have left me with no way to charge the phone.

Note: I'm not savvy enough to know which chargers/cords are interchangeable with which devices, and I lie awake at night thinking about how the wrong decision might blow up my equipment (and my home).

On a broader note, technology is not "liberating" us from anything. Rather, technology is forcing us to do what technology wants. Can anyone living in 2021 decide that they are going to live without a smart phone? We are all now technology's slaves. The genie is out of the bottle. Heaven help us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I do know people who live without tech and don’t want it. My 88 year old mother has no cellphone, a landline and no internet. She has her Spectrum TV service and remote control which is the closest to tech as she gets. I have another friend (55 years old) who is so anti-tech she would love to move to the quiet zone in West Virginia where tech is not allowed - due to the electromagnetic telescopes. She has a landline and TV antenna. She claims all the EMF’s cause her health problems. So there are some around that avoid tech.

When either one of them has something they need done online I get contacted to make it so!

Lisa

Reaction score
When either one of them has something they need done online I get contacted to make it so!

Lisa

Then they don't live without tech, do they? They just extend their tech involvement to include you.

During the first lockdown in my state, I had an opportunity to tele-conference with my doctor. Couldn't do it because the tele-conference app. was phone only (not laptop) and wouldn't run on an iPhone 5s. Not only are we slaves to technology, we have to constantly meet their demand to spend more money, buy new products, upgrade upgrade upgrade. Do you umderatd what I'm saying? I couldn't see my doctor because I had no phone. Nice world we live in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cars are good for the environment without gasoline. Guns are safe without cartridges. I appreciate the line of argument, but I find it oddly dissatisfying. Shortly after I bought my SE and power adaptor, my computer had a problem and had to be sent in for repair. Without the adaptor, that would have left me with no way to charge the phone.

Note: I'm not savvy enough to know which chargers/cords are interchangeable with which devices, and I lie awake at night thinking about how the wrong decision might blow up my equipment (and my home).

On a broader note, technology is not "liberating" us from anything. Rather, technology is forcing us to do what technology wants. Can anyone living in 2021 decide that they are going to live without a smart phone? We are all now technology's slaves. The genie is out of the bottle. Heaven help us.
Using your analogies, when you buy the car, does it come with all the gasoline you may need? Does the dealership tell you that you may need to buy fuel for it? Or change the oil, or do servicing on it. Do you not know that a gun without ammunition is just a hunk of metal? Is it not your expectation that you will need to buy ammunition over and over?

Do you need to be told every little detail of what you buy? Take the wrapper off the hamburger before you eat it? Don't try this at home? Coffee is hot, don't hold it between your legs while driving? People today don't think at all. Why is it "dissatisfying" to hear that Apple can't win, either way? Apple chose to stop providing chargers by default and said that was because chargers are ubiquitous now. The press attacked them, but I note that Samsung is now also not providing chargers any more, so maybe Apple was just out front on this one.

One of the benefits of buying in a real store, rather than online, is that the salesperson usually asks, "Is that all you wanted?" and maybe that triggers the buyer to remember that other item that was needed. But buying online there is no such reminder, so we end up buying later. But when I forget to buy something, it's not the fault of the store, or the salesperson or the website. It's me. And I can't blame anybody but me for not asking, "Do I need anything else?" before I close the deal.

If you want to be a slave to technology, you can. Or, you can tame the technology and use it to your advantage. You don't need to spend endless hours staring at your phone, or your computer, or your TV. You do what you choose to do. Technology is part of it. So is everything else around you. How much time you spend on any area is up to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I really hate to infringe on my new friendships, but I'm about to pull whats left of my hair out. I got my charger from Amazon today and finished the charging and software update. Also inserted my old SIM card. No contacts were transferred and my calendar events are gone!!! Yes, I went into settings and hit the transfer contacts option, but no go. I got everything setup with my Bluetooth on my iMac and new phone, but nothing transferred. iTunes totally ignored the existence of my iPhone. Since I have no way of plugging my new phone into my iMac, I have no way to prove I have a new phone to iTunes. I'm checking to see how long I have to return my new SE for a full refund. Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I have no way of plugging my new phone into my iMac, I have no way to prove I have a new phone to iTunes.

That's why I recommended buying a USB C to USB A adapter cable. Go to your nearest Best Buy and pickup that cable up and then you can plug your new SE to your iMac and transfer everything via iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.