New RMBP. How to take care of It? Oil and keyboard imprints!

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I recently purchased a new rmbp and have been looking for ways to take care of it ensuring that it's life lasts as long as it can
I have read horror stories as the oil from your fingers reaches the keyboard and then when the computer is shut it reaches the screen hence causing permanent damage to the screen and the coating of the screen comes out, has anyone experienced something like that or is it true? I have noticed though the screen doesn't have a protective layer it has this thin rubber layer around the bezel so I'm wondering inspite of that how can the screen touch the keyboard when it shut?

The following are my questions, I hope you guys can provide me with the best answers possible
Just to warn you guys I kinda have OCD

1) As i said the retina glass not being protected and the keyboard touching the screen (i hope thats not true though)
Do I need a screen protector, is it really necessary? Or can I keep my screen naked?

2)My second question is about the keyboard sometimes dust goes in it and I have a mini usb vacuum cleaner can i use that to remove the dust or will it harm the internal components? Oh and would you recommend getting a keyboard guard? Though I hate typing on it and as per apples policy it is mentioned not to keep anything between the screen and keyboard while shutting the computer so every time i use the guard ill have to remove it before closing the lid, I'll surely loose it

3) What about the cases for the outer protection? I'm thinking of getting the Kuzy Rubberized protection case but I have read that firstly they don't last that long and secondly they cause burn marks and over heat the computer blocking the vents and all?

4) I have also read about the radtech screensaverz , the microfiber cloth to put between the keyboard and screen while shutting it hence preventing oil from touching the screen but it's too expensive for a dam piece of cloth but at the same time is it useful? Currently I'm using that paper which came with the computer and putting it between the screen and keyboard while shutting it but its about to tear! Any Suggestions as an alternative a cheap effective one and more over do I need to put anything between the screen and keyboard while shutting it?

5) Suggestions on apple care, worth the investment or not?

6) Could you recommend a good laptop bag?

I have spent a lot on the computer and don't have the capacity and don't wish to spend more on accessories unless its really necessary and helpful.

If you guys could help me out as to how you take care of your rmbp and what all do you use? Do you guys use cases, screen protectors, keyboard guards etc?

Your time and effort will be really appreciate and will help me fight over my OCD
Thanks guys and good day to you

Your input and time will be highly appreciated
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have read horror stories as the oil from your fingers reaches the keyboard and then when the computer is shut it reaches the screen hence causing permanent damage to the screen and the coating of the screen comes out, has anyone experienced something like that or is it true?

In my experience not true.

Just to warn you guys I kinda have OCD

Sorry to hear that.

1) As i said the retina glass not being protected and the keyboard touching the screen (i hope thats not true though)
Do I need a screen protector, is it really necessary? Or can I keep my screen naked?

Just keep it as is.

2)My second question is about the keyboard sometimes dust goes in it and I have a mini usb vacuum cleaner can i use that to remove the dust or will it harm the internal components?

If you feel you need to vacuum…go for it. If you're using a mini USB vacuum designed of this purpose…why would it harm anything??;)

3) What about the cases for the outer protection? I'm thinking of getting the Kuzy Rubberized protection case but I have read that firstly they don't last that long and secondly they cause burn marks and over heat the computer blocking the vents and all?

My wife & I use hard shell cases on our MBP's. We have had no overheating problems. And the protection they provide is certainly a lot better than all the dents, bumps, scrapes, scratches, nicks, etc. MBP's are susceptible too.

4) I have also read about the radtech screensaverz , the microfiber cloth to put between the keyboard and screen while shutting it hence preventing oil from touching the screen but it's too expensive for a dam piece of cloth but at the same time is it useful?

Please get over this already.;) This is the 3rd time the keyboard, finger oil, and display have been mentioned. 99.9% of people don't have a problem with this. The current design of the MBP has been around for about 4-5 years now. Basically no one has a problem with this.:)

5) Suggestions on apple care, worth the investment or not?

What you should be asking is about "Extended Applecare" (you already have 12 months of included Applecare).

All I can say is…when you need it & don't have it…you'll wish you had it!!!;)

6) Could you recommend a good laptop bag?

No.;) Laptop bags are wayyyy too personal a decision/choice. Your needs are going to be different than someone else's needs. You need to check them out yourself & decide.:)

I have spent a lot on the computer and don't have the capacity and don't wish to spend more on accessories unless its really necessary and helpful.

If you want to preserve the exterior appearance of your MBP…and if you feel you are "accident prone"…get a hard shell case & a laptop bag. Especially if you will be using this computer outside your home frequently.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
In my experience not true.

Sorry to hear that.

Just keep it as is.

If you feel you need to vacuum…go for it. If you're using a mini USB vacuum designed of this purpose…why would it harm anything??;)

My wife & I use hard shell cases on our MBP's. We have had no overheating problems. And the protection they provide is certainly a lot better than all the dents, bumps, scrapes, scratches, nicks, etc. MBP's are susceptible too.

Please get over this already.;) This is the 3rd time the keyboard, finger oil, and display have been mentioned. 99.9% of people don't have a problem with this. The current design of the MBP has been around for about 4-5 years now. Basically no one has a problem with this.:)

What you should be asking is about "Extended Applecare" (you already have 12 months of included Applecare).

All I can say is…when you need it & don't have it…you'll wish you had it!!!;)

No.;) Laptop bags are wayyyy too personal a decision/choice. Your needs are going to be different than someone else's needs. You need to check them out yourself & decide.:)

If you want to preserve the exterior appearance of your MBP…and if you feel you are "accident prone"…get a hard shell case & a laptop bag. Especially if you will be using this computer outside your home frequently.

- Nick

A simple Google search will justify that it's a very common problem among the rmbp and macbook airs, that's why I very concerned I don't want to screw my 1600$ computer on such a stupid issue.

What's the difference between a hard shell and a rubberized one? For the USB mini vacuum I'm scared the air might damage the logic board in some way. Secondly what's a sleeve and what's a laptop bag? I mean what's the difference?

C

chas_m

If you're concerned about getting skin oil on the keys and the (remote) possibility that they'll then get on the screen (the keys and the screen do not touch, however), I'd suggest a very thin silicon key cover that is washable. The best one I have encountered (I have oily skin so I like to use these) is by kbcovers.com

Style - KB Covers

I have no affiliation with them other than having been satisfied with the longevity of the product. Not the cheapest, but the best I've found thus far.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you're concerned about getting skin oil on the keys and the (remote) possibility that they'll then get on the screen (the keys and the screen do not touch, however), I'd suggest a very thin silicon key cover that is washable. The best one I have encountered (I have oily skin so I like to use these) is by kbcovers.com

Style - KB Covers

I have no affiliation with them other than having been satisfied with the longevity of the product. Not the cheapest, but the best I've found thus far.

I live in India and those covers aren't available here. I have also read that the keyboard covers transfer oil to the screen, has that happened with you or do you use a screen protector? I was thinking of buying some cheap keyboard cover and when I'm typing I'll remove it while shutting the laptop will that be okay? Do you know how the kuzy hard case is?

C

chas_m

Depends on the keyboard cover. Thick ones will transfer skin oil to the screen because they are thick. Apple designed the keys not to touch the screen at all, but there is only a very thin gap between them. That's why I suggested *thin* keyboard covers.

As you mentioned, you could use the cover when actually typing and take it off when not in use. Another option is to use an external keyboard most of the time (I do this), so the actual notebook keys are very rarely used. If you're really OCD about it, you could just use cheap disposable gloves when you type -- no keyboard cover required.

I don't favor screen protectors because they get dirty/oily/whatever, then they are hard to remove for cleaning.

I know nothing of the kuzy hard case so I can't comment on that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Depends on the keyboard cover. Thick ones will transfer skin oil to the screen because they are thick. Apple designed the keys not to touch the screen at all, but there is only a very thin gap between them. That's why I suggested *thin* keyboard covers.

As you mentioned, you could use the cover when actually typing and take it off when not in use. Another option is to use an external keyboard most of the time (I do this), so the actual notebook keys are very rarely used. If you're really OCD about it, you could just use cheap disposable gloves when you type -- no keyboard cover required.

I don't favor screen protectors because they get dirty/oily/whatever, then they are hard to remove for cleaning.

I know nothing of the kuzy hard case so I can't comment on that.

Don't you think that's ridiculous, paying so much for a computer and not even using its keyboard, the glove ideas are way too much I'm not crazy or something, all I want to know is does the keyboard and screen touch in the rmbp when it's shut and can I buy cheap tracing paper and keep it in between as a barrier

C

chas_m

It has been repeatedly stated by myself and others that the keys don't touch the screen. We're just trying to give you a wide array of options to address your concerns.

OP
S
Reaction score
It has been repeatedly stated by myself and others that the keys don't touch the screen. We're just trying to give you a wide array of options to address your concerns.

Im sorry I know that but I find it hard to believe considering the about us of stories out here. Just Google MBPr keyboard imprints and see it for yourself. Do you have the rmbp? Can the tracing paper work? Sorry for bothering so much and thanks for your time.

C

chas_m

Why take my word for it? Why not close the lid and insert a strip of paper (or shine a light) into the gap and see for yourself?

OP
S
Reaction score
Why take my word for it? Why not close the lid and insert a strip of paper (or shine a light) into the gap and see for yourself?

I have tried doing that but the gap is so small can't even see anything. I'll take your word cause I believe you but at the same time taking every precaution I can

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A simple Google search will justify that it's a very common problem among the rmbp and macbook airs, that's why I very concerned I don't want to screw my 1600$ computer on such a stupid issue.

If you search hard enough…you can find ANYTHING on the internet. All I can tell you is…it is NOT a common problem among the MANY users here on Mac-Forums…over years & years & years of posting.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sorry I know that but I find it hard to believe considering the about us of stories out here. Just Google MBPr keyboard imprints and see it for yourself.

Again…not a common problem. In fact…I cannot remember ANYONE posting a thread here who had keyboard imprint problems on the display with a Unibody MacBook Pro. With older style Mac Book Pro's and Powerbooks…yes it could be a problem…but not with the newer style Unibody MacBook Pro's (which have been around for 4-5 years).

The fact that you need to internalize is…these imprints on the display also occur because folks have PILED too much weight on top of a closed laptop computer (like lots of thick textbooks). Compressing things & basically crushing the keyboard into the display. But again…this was a bigger problem with older style MacBook Pro's.

But when I say "bigger"…it was still a rare occurrence. Because most folks have enough common sense not to pile a bunch of heavy textbooks on top of a laptop computer.

Bottom line…it is NOT a common problem with the keyboard keys of current model MacBook Pro's causing imprints on the display!

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bottom line…it is NOT a common problem with the keyboard keys of current model MacBook Pro's causing imprints on the display!

Actually, it has never been a problem because like chas_m stated, Apple has designed the keyboard and top lid display so that they do not touch or interact.

However, what has happened in many instances is that folks carry their MacBook or MacBook Pro along with other things like in a back pack. The weight of other items pressing down on the top lid display causes the display then to contact the keys. After a while it will leave an impression. This was prevalent especially in the older plastic MacBook and iBook computers. It also may occur with the aluminum models since aluminum is soft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Not to cause a kerfuffle - but I have had the problem on both macbooks I have owned. Could be it comes from pressure in a bag or something but if so it isn't much pressure at all. My macbook screens show clear imprints of keys. Bugs the cra* out of me. My opinion is that in the pursuit of thinness they built in an inadequate tolerance between screen and keys. The Radtech cloth keyboard cover works well, highly recommended. Only problem with it is that if you are running in clamshell mode with an external monitor and keyboard and you set the MacBook in a stand the cloth allows the thing to flop open a bit and that will mess you up sometimes.

Maybe I'm unusually tough on stuff? I dont' think so. I know this - I don't have OCS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.