New machine questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac, i7 Turbo, 512 SSD, Radeon R9 M295X, 24GB Ram
My new iMac is up and running. She is a real beauty. I just can't quit staring at the screen. Even the text and fonts are visually crisper. So so nice but then again you all knew that :Smirk:

I have some questions as I try to learn everything all over. I feel like such a noobie fumbling all around this OS system.

1) First is how can I add a clock and weather widget to the desktop?

2) Second my new OWC external drive came with firewire and USB cords. But the iMac doesn't have a firewire connection. I want to run the firewire instead of the usb because its faster correct? So is there an adapter or cord to connect these that I can use? If so which one from OWC will work?

3) I would like to add this folder to my dock Go>Home? Not sure how that happens yet either.. Still learning...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1) First is how can I add a clock and weather widget to the desktop?

Got to search the internet. Lots & lots of weather & time apps available. Many should be free…you need to choose based on what you like.:)

2) Second my new OWC external drive came with firewire and USB cords. But the iMac doesn't have a firewire connection. I want to run the firewire instead of the usb because its faster correct? So is there an adapter or cord to connect these that I can use? If so which one from OWC will work?

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

3) I would like to add this folder to my dock Go>Home? Not sure how that happens yet either.. Still learning...

Just drag it to the dock. But you need to drag it to the right side of the dock (there's kind of a divider there). Apps on the left, folders on the right.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Depending on the OWC external drive model, but if it's got USB 3.0 as well as your new Mac has I suspect it has, the USB 3.0 will be faster than even FW 800.

Check the specks and the OWC often come with the proper cables but not always.

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I have to stop over complicating things with this Mac. I must say this machine is Epic and I've just scratched the surface of what this can do. I can't wait to edit 4K video.

I've seen on Amazon a USB extender that mounts to the front face of the iMac so you have front facing USB ports. It was silver and matched the front face. But now I can't find it. I've searched several keywords. By any chance does anyone have a link?

Thanks..

pm-r it came with a USB 3.0 cable and a FW cable. But no FW connection on the iMac. I'll check the site now to see what's faster.

Thanks..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've seen on Amazon a USB extender that mounts to the front face of the iMac so you have front facing USB ports. It was silver and matched the front face. But now I can't find it. I've searched several keywords. By any chance does anyone have a link?

I'm not 100% sure what it looks like. Is it by chance this?:

Satechi Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB Hub (9.5" cable) for iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and Mac Mini (Silver)

05.jpg

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By any chance does anyone have a link?

Check out this link. It has pictures of many types of adapters including one from Amazon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's another one from Amazon and it's USB 3.0. The others seem to be USB 2.0 only.

I liked this one so much, I just ordered one for myself! :)

Last edited:
OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Too bad, like so many of them they are not externally powered and restricted to and must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 900 mAh, and they will not even charge an iPad. But they look cool. ;) :eek:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered the "Cateck Premium USB 3.0 4 Port Hub with 11" cable. I didn't need the one with the 30" cable. And since I already had Amazon points, it was only $7.99 including the shipping.

Too bad, like so many of them they are not externally powered and restricted to and must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 900 mAh, and they will not even charge an iPad. But they look cool.

Doesn't matter, as you can not charge an iPad from an iMac USB connector anyway. My 2013 iMac will give a warning when the iPad is plugged in. The warning says it can't be charged and will be for data exchange only. Maybe with a powered hub, but if I have to do that, I'll just use my supplied Apple charger that came with the iPad.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Doesn't matter, as you can not charge an iPad from an iMac USB connector anyway. My 2013 iMac will give a warning when the iPad is plugged in. The warning says it can't be charged and will be for data exchange only.

That's odd. When I connect my wife's iPad 4 or my iPad Air, I never get a warning and they both do definitely charge, slowly but definitely. I do plug them directly to the iMac.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
pm-r it came with a USB 3.0 cable and a FW cable. But no FW connection on the iMac. I'll check the site now to see what's faster.

Thanks..

If the EHD comes with a USB 3 cable, then your Mac is bound to have a USB 3 port, so use that because as pm-r says, this is faster than FireWire 800.

Ian

OP
Sharkz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i did hook up last night via USB 3 port. just going to run some tests on both drives later today. Thanks for all the help as I continue t learn this rig.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's odd. When I connect my wife's iPad 4 or my iPad Air, I never get a warning and they both do definitely charge, slowly but definitely. I do plug them directly to the iMac.Ian

I have an iPad 3 which might be the difference. I know the Mini, Air, and Air 2 will charge from an iMac main USB port. Wasn't sure about the 4, but if you can charge yours, it must be OK.

M

MacInWin

An iPad will charge, but only when the display is off. So there's no way to see it charging, except to let it go for a while and then look at the battery level. On iTunes, you can see the iPad charging even when it is dark.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An iPad will charge, but only when the display is off. So there's no way to see it charging, except to let it go for a while and then look at the battery level. On iTunes, you can see the iPad charging even when it is dark.

Interesting Jake. I'll have to try that tonight when my wife lets the iPad loose for awhile. I know that each time I tried it (display on) it told me it wasn't charging. I've never received a warning about the port being disabled which leads me to believe you may be right about shutting off the display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.