**New Macbook** superdrive problems, please help

Reaction score
I just bought a new macbook ( refurbished) & when ever I'm importing a cd through itunes even if it has the slightest scratch the cd will start skipping & freeze itunes.

I can't imagine that a refurbished computer could leave apples gates & still have problems.

I'm trying so hard to be calm, but I'm about to blow!!

Could anyone give me suggestions on what i should do?

Just for reference I can play all these cd's fines in stereo players, etc. put through the macbooks superdrive some songs will simply not play.

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to send my macbook in, ah man!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
all hardware has the possibility of being bad, switching to apple isn't a cure all. but since this is a refurb, it could have an issue. it may indeed be a bum drive. it could be worse, but it is a pain to have to send something back.

if you have an apple store nearby, you may want to bring the macbook in with one of the cds this always happens with.

OP
T
Reaction score
I undersatnd that but, do you have a cd hat has scratches on it that the superdrive won'tplay.

I mean it seems like the cd has to be flawless in order for it play/rip & if it has scratches it just freezes.

I've been able to download rip most of my songs but always at least 1 or 2 just don't make it.

Now returning it in would'nt be a problem if I was'nt overseas ( japan) and in the military.

So my basic question is does you macbook drive play/rip cd's even if they have scratches on them

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
the superdrive in my macbook went squiffy so I took it into the apple store with a selection of disks. Turns out that they have a variety of disks in a variety of states (scratched, clean, audio, data, etc) to test it with. When the new drive arrived it too 20 minutes from dropping my machine off to going back to fetch it :)

edit: in response to your most recent post, there are a few disks that it just refuses to play that seem fine on other machines. I'm not sure why this is but I think it's to do with the thickness of the disk and the slot-load mechanism.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if it flat refuses to even load a disk it could be copy protected too. i've got one for sure that will not play:

...and you will know us by the trail of dead . so divided

i have played disks with some minor scratches on them, but most all of my disks are in immaculate condition. i have played dvds with some good scuffing...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.