New Macbook Pro user - migrate from windows to mac

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Thanks. I decided to start again completely from scratch so have wiped the hard drive and reinstalled OSX. I am now about to start the migration process again. The only thing that's confusing me is the ASP.NET account that was created after the first attempt at migration. I do have a user account on my windows so I don't know why that appeared first time round. I'll let you know how I get on. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2012 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hi, hope everyone has had a very merry christmas. I have been getting used to my new MBP, absolutely love it. After starting again from scratch I now have the one user account. Although there is the ASP.NET account.....but when I log into it there are literally no files etc under that account so I think I will simply delete it. I do have lots of other questions which I'll try to post in the relevant category.
Thanks
David

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you've got that sorted out. For those reading this thread in the future here's what I would do. Let's assume for the moment that you have a user account already and have very few files in that account and haven't added a lot of login items to the account.

Now you realize that you need to run Migration Assistant which will create a second user account. Let it create the second account and move the files you've created from the first account to the second account.

The original account (the one you created) can be kept in place as a "clean" account for troubleshooting purposes. The second account (created by Migration Assistant) is now the account used as the main account. Helpful if you encounter a Windows data file that is picky about the file permissions. Since the account name is the same it usually doesn't trip up.

M

MacInWin

Sly, I agree but would caution the new switcher against then trying to rename the second account, as that would create a ton of trouble down the road.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I should have thought to mention that. I wouldn't bother renaming either account. When I was in a similar predicament I ended up with two accounts with very similar names. Realizing this was a recipe for confusion I kept the account the Migration Assistant had created and dumped the new one I had created. Fortunately I noticed the problem before I had added any customizations or lots of new files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.