New MacBook: Harddrive question

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and new to Mac. I purchased a MacBook with 80 gb hard drive. Out of the box, there is only 55 gb available. I have removed several programs but it did not free up much. Does the Mac OS really take up that much space or is there anything else I can remove?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz
Just picked up a Macbook myself, and have the same amount of drive usage. I'd assume the OS and the installed applications are taking up that much space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
There are several apps which take up a good amount of space as delivered. If you decide not to purchase the full versions, you can delete them and save some space (MS Office and Pages for example). That said, I would advise that you keep them until you're sure you don't want them. Another way to pick up some space is to get rid og about 2 gigs worth of foreign language files. Download a free app called "monolingual", follow the directions therein and delete whichever languages you don't need. If you only need English, be sure to keep English AND American English.

Hope this helps.
Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.0 GHz/1 GB/80
I think Virtual memory also helps loosing disk space. My macbook has 7 GB to 8Gb allocated to virtual memory.

Pacman

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks. Tried all the above and freed up abt 2.5 gb. Can you reformat a Mac like a PC to remove all unnecessary apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
There is no need to reformat. Unlike a windows machine, the Mac doesn't spread its apps and parts thereof all over your HDD. Once you have decided to get rid of an app, simply drag it to the trash and then empty the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.