New MacBook Air sound quality suspect

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a new MacBook Air few weeks ago running 10.11.4.
I somehow feel that the quality of sound is not good enough.
There is no problem with the volume but if I play an mp3 file in iTunes or VLC, it sounds too "noisy". The sounds of music instruments are too amplified.
If I activate the equalizer and set it to "Pop", then the sound quality becomes much much better.

Is this normal or did I get unlucky with faulty hardware?
I don't have another MacBook Air to compare it with.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
Speakers on the Macbook Air never been amazing, If setting it to pop helps you out, keep it that way.
Unless your audio sounds really distorted everything is fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Speakers on the Macbook Air never been amazing, If setting it to pop helps you out, keep it that way.
Unless your audio sounds really distorted everything is fine

@ Dynamite - agree w/ the above, i.e. you are never going to get great sound from the speakers of a MacBook Air - see the image below from an iFixit Guide showing the puny size of the two speakers - this is a 13" laptop (not sure if you have that one or the smaller 11"?) - if this is a 'new' machine w/ an Apple warranty, then you could take it in for an assessment at the Genius Bar, where the sound can be compared w/ another similar machine.

But, if you want 'good' music coming out of that laptop, then consider obtaining some small stereo speakers that are portable - cabled ones w/ the headphone jack would be one option or if you want to go 'wireless' (my preference), then there are plenty of BT (Bluetooth) speakers of various sizes and costs - I carry the stereo speaker below on all of my trips to play music from my iPad - good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 3.24.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 4.56.21 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
@RadDave Thanks a bunch for your reply. Yes, this is a new 13" one. I think I can live with internal speakers and mess around with equalizer settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.