• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Macbook Air Rumours

Reaction score
I can't do it.

I can't have a laptop that doesn't have a dvd player. That new mba would be perfect if it had a dvd player. My mb will have to do for now till I upgrade to mbp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
One thing of note... the bottom of the new MBA Tech Spec page shows as included with the MBA a "Software Reinstall Drive" which looks somewhat like a USB thumb drive. That is one of those examples of attention to detail than made me a big fan of Apple to begin with. My last MBA made my wife laugh a bit as it came with restore DVD's. It had the potential to present a bit of a conundrum regarding how to perform some types of restore/recovery processes without buying an external DVD drive if WiFi was messed up. I've been tough on Apple since the iOS4 blitz of late, but this was a welcome surprise. Green rep point for Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
So when are these things in the Apple Stores?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So when are these things in the Apple Stores?

According to the Apple Online Store...if you ordered right now (5:45pm EDT)...it would ship in 1-2 days. So there's a good chance Apple Stores may already have them. or t won't be very long till they do.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I can't have a laptop that doesn't have a dvd player. That new mba would be perfect if it had a dvd player. My mb will have to do for now till I upgrade to mbp.

What's a dvd player? Is that like an 8 track or a cassette tape?

Seriously though, I love my MBA and will never walk to college without it. Its just so light and capable, its everything I need and more. Its also amazing as my external monitor for photography and as a secondary storage device. Immediately after shooting I can download my shots to it and comfortably sit with the subject and page through the shots to pick the best ones. It just works for me on so many levels.

Now if I can just sell it to some rube on ebay and upgrade to a new one I'll be in heaven.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Drat, just realized it will have that new track pad that I hate. Am I completely missing the boat on the new buttonless trackpads? I don't like them, but am willing to admit I may be wrong and just too used to the old style.

Are the new one's better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Drat, just realized it will have that new track pad that I hate. Am I completely missing the boat on the new buttonless trackpads? I don't like them, but am willing to admit I may be wrong and just too used to the old style.

Are the new one's better?

Just the opposite here can't go back to the old track pads or a mouse and it looks to have more function come 10.7 in the end we all adapt and get use to
change eventually.

Reaction score
Click and drag on the buttonless trackpads suck, and right clicking is slightly more akward for me, but the gestures are cool.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing of note... the bottom of the new MBA Tech Spec page shows as included with the MBA a "Software Reinstall Drive" which looks somewhat like a USB thumb drive.
I hadn't noticed that. Much better than restore DVDs.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
No ethernet port is a big thumbs down for me. That does not affect me anymore cause I use an Airport Extreme. But a lot of people still use modems hard wired to their computer through the ethernet port.

But on the other hand having the OS on a USB drive and not a DVD is a smart idea. I'd like all Macs to skip the DVDs and use the USB drive instead.

And the base models being 1.4 Ghz and 1.86 Ghz compared to the 2.4 Ghz macbook makes the Air a hard sell. To me the only reason to get an Air over the white Macbook is the better screen resolution, facetime camera, and smaller SSD drive. So to me I'd still be recommending the old white Macbook to a lot of people over the Air.

And 1.4 Ghz + 11 inch screen and 64GB SSD is only a touch more Screen size, CPU and the same SSD drive as an ipad. So really to me these new Airs are a little more then an ipad but not really a Macbook. And they have the premium price tag as usual. I never understood the less is more attitude with the Airs. You get less features then a Macbook but you pay more for it. Some people must love their SSD's and ultra thin-ness so much they are willing to pay a premium for it. Good on them. I'm not willing to pay for a 1cm thinner Macbook. I don't see the value in it. Others do though. And good on them. Hope they sell well for Apple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hadn't noticed that. Much better than restore DVDs.

I saw that and was VERY impressed. Came to post about it but XJ beat me to it which is cool! I think that is an excellent idea and just might catch on in the future. The thing even looks nice!

PS, do remember that there is a RJ-45 Dongle for the Air for $29. Sure it's not built in, but at least you can get one if you need it.

specs_flashdrive_20101020.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's nice to see this instead of seeing Apple assume that you would either buy the SuperDrive or own another Mac.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Owning another Mac is useless when you need to use the Apple hardware test or boot from the dvd to repair your hard drive. I'm not sure if you can wire one mac to another and repair the 2nd remotely (through wired connection) from the first.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Fine by me. At least it can be installed without hacking the operating system unlike OS-lite devices.

And there is this:
MacBook Air: Frequently Asked Questions about Software Reinstall Drive

And here's a question.
If 10.7 Lion was released on a USB drive would you buy it or would you want the DVDs?

Good post. Thanks for the link!

FWIW - I'd opt for DVD. I've copied the OS X DVD to a bootable image file on USB many times so I'm not worried about getting it on to flash storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... seems the new MBA keyboard has no backlighting. Bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Just went to the Apple Store over lunch and they did not have any! For purchase OR display! Bummer.

Reaction score
Just went to the Apple Store over lunch and they did not have any! For purchase OR display! Bummer.
Same as my area, no mac store in my area has them. I was told that they might have it by Friday, but most likely Monday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Both of my closest store have them in stock...but they are all sold out atm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.