new mac user

S

slappy

I am having a nightmare loading os x on my power book it installs first cd then reboots and starts installation again. If I remove the cd I get ?/mac symbol flashing. It never asks for 2nd cd. I tried loading os 9.1 and after I initialized and loaded os I get the same ?/mac symbol flashing. Its a Lombard G3 400
256mb
10GB IBM travelstar
any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I will provide any other info needed I am sorry I am very new to mac.

OP
S

slappy

OK I just noticed that when I look at the drive with OS X install cd it says slave? is there supposed to be a jumper on the drive? if so anyone have a link or pic to where the jumper should be? I hope this is whats wrong!!!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
ugh
you install disk 1. it asks you to restart. then asks for disk 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
then eject disk 1 and slide disk 2 in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you dont need disk 2

OP
S

slappy

duh ... man am I dumb. If thats true then why doesn't os x start after install? all I get is flashing [ ? ] to mac symbol over and over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Did you format the hard drive before installing again?

Format the hard drive, freshly install then take the disk out before it reboots..

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
disk 2 is just extras

OP
S

slappy

Thanks everybody I am somewhat new to this. I am formatting the drive now and will reply when I get done!

OP
S

slappy

well no dice still flashing mac/? when rebooted. I set the first partition to 4 gb then left the other as free space (5gb) should I try loading as little as possible? Also if I set first partition what should it be set as? Extended standard? Sorry I get so confused by this. I know it has to be the first 8 gb partition but is there a minimum size?

OP
S

slappy

Ok I am loading OS X disc again (10.2) what size should the first partition be? Lemme see if someone can make it idiot proof for me....

OP
S

slappy

While I am waiting is there a Light version of the install where I can bypass unwanted printer drivers languages etc ? I think I saw it briefly but I wasn't sure if that was going to be a can of worms. Also do I need to install OS 9 drivers? Sorry if I sound stupid but when it comes to a mac I am a complete bafoon. I just ran verify disk permissions and I get a bunch of errors. I am guessing I should run repair disk permissions. While I am there should I run verify Disk and repair disk as well?

OP
S

slappy

OK neither repair worked. I also tried OS 9 and had no luck there either. Right sfter loading I rebooted and flashing mac / ? I will try to format disk again and start from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe you have a dead hard drive?

OP
S

slappy

Well I figured it out The Toshiba drive (not an IBM as I thought) does not support or want to make itself a master drive. Whew man I lost 2 years on that. Now I am trying a 6 gb IBM drive I got the jumper set so it can be a master and I am trying to load OS X now ....wish me luck hehehe.

OP
S

slappy

OK just found out it wouldn't load because the drive wasn't mounted. ? could someone translate "mounted" for a idiotic PC user? Is mounting a hard drive like making it active or is it like making it a primary vs. a extended partition? Thanks for all your help people! I will make it!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mounting is making the Disk available for use, like making it active.

OP
S

slappy

OK Finally I used a 12 GB hard drive IBM that worked the 6 gb drives I have all bombed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.