new mac or upgrade to ssd?

Reaction score
2010 macbook pro, 8g mem, I5 2.53Gz. osx Yosimite
works perfectly but slow to start and slow in apps at times. So will a simple install od a ssd help enough or should I buy new?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums...

Upgrading to a SSD will definitely help with the things you are finding to be slow since it specifically addresses read/writing data which affects loading of the OS and applications..

However, keep in mind that up to 512GB of SSD is reasonably priced, but anything beyond that gets ridiculously expensive, so depending on how much data you have on your current HDD you might have to augment the SSD with an external HDD/SSD as well to avoid running out of space..

OP
D
Reaction score
upgrade

Thanks want to be sure I am not going wrong with the ssd upgrade, was not sure I would see much difference in performance between a new pro and my old one with a new ssd.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks want to be sure I am not going wrong with the ssd upgrade, was not sure I would see much difference in performance between a new pro and my old one with a new ssd.

A new computer is going to cost you a heck of a lot more!;)

How do you know that the current slowness is not due to a messed up HD (could be a dying HD, could be a too full HD, could be a poorly managed HD, etc.).

It would be a real shame to spend $1000-$1500 due to an issue that could possibly be cured with a little bit of research/homework…or a simple & inexpensive HD replacement.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The SSD is a cheap enough upgrade to try first and should you decide you want a bigger boost, you can sell your MBP for more than what it would've been worth with the HDD and put that money against a new MBP..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
IMO - If it is recently got slow suspect hard drive issues. If a clean install does not do the trick suspect dying hard drive.

Then decide:

Have $$$ buy new MB Pro (and there are lots here who will give you advice on what to get!)

Want to save $$$ buy the largest SSD you can afford. If you need suggestions on where to purchase an SSD, post back because there are many with advice on that subject too!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.