New mac need help

Reaction score
Hello everyone tomorrow I will probably be buying a new macbook pro 13 or 15 inch. I am upgrading from a 5 1/2 year old powerbook g4 running tiger.

Now my problem is this. I always backup my files and all using super duper making an exact replica of the HD. The problem was I never really used iphoto to keep track of all my photos. They are in quite a few different places. On my new one I wan to use and have all my photos in iphoto. What is the best way to do this? I do not want to have multiple copied of the same photos on my new HD.

Also I have my music collection well over 200 cd's all ripped, favortized and organized almost all with album artwork and such. What is the best way to copy my library from my backup to the new computer?

I want to thank you in advanced for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Here is how i would try it - when u boot up your new Mac you have the choice to import data from another Mac. In this case you could use superduper or G4. Connect G4 to new MBP with Firewire 400 - use adaptor if MBP does not have 400 Firewire 800 to 400 Adapter - then import all except any Applications. That sould give you all current internet settings and all in your User folder etc.
Then as you need 3rd party apps, download fresh copies for SL.

OP
B
Reaction score
That would work but there is one problem with that. Last night my powerbook finally bit the dust and no matter how you plug the power cable in it will not take a charge. It is the port itself as I already tried a new power cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any chance of borrowing a fully charged G4 battery off a mate and then fit that and use that to get the data off the G4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That would work but there is one problem with that. Last night my powerbook finally bit the dust and no matter how you plug the power cable in it will not take a charge. It is the port itself as I already tried a new power cord.

You can buy hdd enclosures for pretty cheap. That would allow you take out the powerbook's internal hdd and put it into an enclosure so you can access the data on it.

OP
B
Reaction score
As I said I already have a fully mirrored image of my HD on a external hd and also have an enclosure for the hd inside my mac if need be. As far as getting a fully charged battery it is possible but would be hard to find someone that has one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good reason to belong to a Mac Club

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay I copied all my itunes stuff and went to my new computer. After copying everything to the new computer I double clicked my library everything loaded BUT it can not locate any of my music. What do I need to do?

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I have the answer.
After deleting everything out of itunes and copying all the music directly into the itunes music folder.

Go to File>Library>Import Playlist>Select the .XML file from your old library and your done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.