New M2 MacBook Pro battery loss during sleep..

Reaction score
Hi all
My Macbook (a week old) is losing around 8% overnight during deep sleep. Is this normal?
I usually shut down laptops over night but someone told me that doing this is bad for MacBooks so I've just been closing the lid when I've finished work and walking away.
Is losing this amount of battery normal? Can I do anything to reduce it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would do an experiment:

Do what you normally do "just close the lid"...but before doing this...reboot the computer first. Once its been rebooted & you're at the desktop...don't open anything...just close the lid. See if this makes any difference in term's of battery charge lost overnight.

Nick

p.s. I should mention that with an older MacBook Pro I had at one time I did pay close attention to battery charge lost overnight (usually I leave my MacBook Pro's plugged in...since many times I use them like a desktop computer)...thus in this case I left it unplugged overnight.

Battery was in good shape...and usually when I tested...it lost about 5% each night (not sure if this is typical). Of course since M2 MacBook Pro's are much different than this MacBook Pro was...results could be different as well.

OP
H
Reaction score
UPDATE.
I tried what was suggested above and this time, it lost 20%.
I don't think it loses that when I work on the thing!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the computer was rebooted...no applications were launched...the lid was closed...and the computer lost 20% battery charge in just one night (I'm assuming around 8 hours)...something is definitely not right.

Something else to try. Do as mentioned above (reboot the computer & launch no apps)...now open the Apple "Activity Monitor" utility app...and see if there is anything running that could be consuming any energy.

Also double check the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences.

If this M2 MacBook Pro is losing 20% battery charge overnight while sleeping...and nothing can be found to explain it...definitely an issue & maybe time to head to an Apple Store for the Apple techs to look at.

Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Check your Battery Settings, it's likely they are the same as mine and I believe they are the default settings but just in case. Here is a shot of mine. Youll need to click on "Options" bottom right to see this screen.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 1.59.54 pm.png

You have the option to choose "Never" in the drop down menu (as below), I'd try that just to compare.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 2.03.37 pm.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Update 2.
Last night, charged the MacBook to 100% and made sure everything was closed and shut the lid and put it away. This was at 8pm. This morning, opened the lid at 7am and its at.......98%!!
I've no idea what was different to the night before - nothing was running then either!!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Jus re my post #6 I'm wondering if something was running/updating. With a new device Spotlight could be indexing or photos downloading. Anyway 2% is probably an acceptable loss. I have mine plugged in to AC overnight but I'll try it tonight unplugged and get back with the results tomorrow.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last night, charged the MacBook to 100% and made sure everything was closed and shut the lid and put it away. This was at 8pm. This morning, opened the lid at 7am and its at.......98%!!
I've no idea what was different to the night before - nothing was running then either!!
Nice! As Rod mentioned...2% loss is probably acceptable. And as Rod mentioned...very possible with the larger battery losses experienced previously...something may have been going on in the background.

For example in System Preferences > Energy Saver...there's a setting called "Power Nap"...which allows the computer to do certain activities while sleeping (such as backups, check email, etc.). If this setting is enabled...maybe disabling it will help.

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
H
Reaction score
"A prominent example of a preference panel that was removed in MacOS Ventura is the popular Energy Saver system preferences, which has been on the Mac since the beginnings of Mac OS X, a curious decision given Apple’s environmental and “green energy” initiatives"

Darn Apple...😒

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
"A prominent example of a preference panel that was removed in MacOS Ventura is the popular Energy Saver system preferences, which has been on the Mac since the beginnings of Mac OS X, a curious decision given Apple’s environmental and “green energy” initiatives"

******** Apple..😒
No reference for the quote, but the quote leaves out a lot of the "reality" of what Apple has done. Instead of "energy saver" as a title, in Ventura Settings it is now "Battery" and you can set whether or not you want Low Power Mode, check Battery health, see recent usage, and in the Options area, Select if you want to put hard disks to sleep, wake for network access and optimize streaming when on battery. In addition, built into the power logic of Ventura (and Monterey before it) is smart charging, where, if you are on mains power most of the time, the battery is held at 80% charged, not 100%. You can then opt to quick charge that last 20%, or if you just grab and go, the logic resets and it will charge back to 100% when next connected and for a while afterwards, until you pass some threshold and it relaxes back to 80% again.

So, basically, what was there, is there.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thx, that's awesome!
I've not had a Mac in over 10 years so things are still a little strange for me!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They have spread the options/settings around a bit but easiest way to access them all is Ian's favourite; go to Battery in Settings and click the question mark, bottom right corner. There you will find a complete list of all options, thier locations and what they do.
PS. My M1 MBP also lost 2% off charger O/night

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.