New Location Same Airport

Reaction score
I just moved to a new address and am trying to set up my Airport. I have:

•*plugged it into the modem
•*plugged it into the power source

and am attempting to get it going using Airport Utility. Airport Utility sees the internet and the Airport Extreme. When I clicked on the flashing yellow light icon for the Airport Extreme and entered in the updated password for the network nothing happened. Is there something else I need to manually do to get my new network and my Airport Extreme on the same page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Have you told your ISP that you have moved? Is Broadband enabled on your new line? Is the ADSL filter in place (if needed)?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, my service has been updated via my ISP and when I click into the details of the Airport Extreme I see that the DNS servers match that of the Internet. I am not sure how to check the other two things you mentioned (Broadband enabled and ADSL filter)

I did just confirm with my cable provider that the new modem they gave me is also a network adapter. So I bet I have a "dueling banjo" scenario. If thats the case I guess I am at the mercy of whatever TimeWarner has given me.

That signal is making it all the way through the apartment, but it is extremely odd that it isn't working with the iPads in terms of internet connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As you have a cable connection you can ignore the ADSL and Broadband enabled bit.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Macjones73

Which Airport do you have now? There have been several over the years. Here are a few questions that might help pinpoint the problem.

What IOS versions are on the iPads?
Exactly what happens when you try to get the iPads to connect?
If you have the documentation for the device your provider gave you check the settings. If it has MAC filtering turned on (unlikely) that could stop the iPads from connecting.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Yes, my service has been updated via my ISP and when I click into the details of the Airport Extreme I see that the DNS servers match that of the Internet. I am not sure how to check the other two things you mentioned (Broadband enabled and ADSL filter)

I did just confirm with my cable provider that the new modem they gave me is also a network adapter. So I bet I have a "dueling banjo" scenario. If thats the case I guess I am at the mercy of whatever TimeWarner has given me.

That signal is making it all the way through the apartment, but it is extremely odd that it isn't working with the iPads in terms of internet connection.

Am I right in understanding that your previously used the AE with a different modem? The first modem was not a router, but the new modem is a router as well?

If that is the case I would suspect you need to put your AE into 'bridge mode'. In normal mode, the AE will attempt to allocate local IP addresses to connected kit. If your modem is also a router, it will also be attempting to allocated local IP addresses and if both routers allocate the same local IP address to different devices your internet connectivity won't work. Which sounds like what you might be experiencing?

Putting the AE into bridge mode will stop it attempting to allocate IP addresses and would resolve that problem if it was occurring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Or you could log into your TW router to see if you can turn off its wireless signal meaning it'll just be acting as a modem. You can then use your airport in DHCP mode.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Put the AE in Bridge mode as suggested by dbm.

Turning off wifi at the TW modem will not stop it's DHCP service.
It will continue to give out IP addresses even to a wifi network created on the AE.

I have mine set up exactly this way with 2 wifi networks - one at the TW modem, AE wired to the TW and in bridge mode and a 2nd wifi network on the AE - set up at opposite end of the house - making it easy to move between the fastest network as one moves around the house. The TW modem still does all DHCP work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.