New iMac w/crackling noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz 15" MBP C2D 2.33 GHz 2GB RAM, Black Video iPod 80GB
Hi everyone,

I just got my new iMac 24" C2D and noticed as soon as it booted up there was a crackling/staticky noise coming from the speakers...is this normal? I was thinking that it may be the hard drive as I don't know what it is supposed to sound like. I have a macbook and it doesn't have that problem. Right now its just updating and so far only heard the sound a couple times...from the iMac
The sound was adjusted all the way up and all the way down, and that doesn't change anything.

Anyways, if anyone could please let me know whether this is normal, or whether I need to phone Apple about it, that would be appreciated. I would hate to have to send the iMac back after just unpacking it...it is HUGE!! Well if I had to at least I'd still have my MacBook.

Thanks!

Kelvin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
My 20" iMac C2D is totally silent. I'd contact Apple...sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Not normal.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
occasionally i can hear my cpu or w/e that little sound that u hear pc's doing all the time....but no speaker crackles

OP
Dice-K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I've since noticed that the sound is not coming from the speakers themselves, as I have a pair of external speakers hooked up to it. But the crackling is definitely coming from within the computer, it happens intermittantly when its on, but it is most obvious when the computer is booting up. So, I guess I should call apple bout it. Thanks!

Kelvin

OP
Dice-K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so I just talked to someone at apple, and she said it is normal? She said her iMac at home does the same thing. So I dunno, it doesn't happen all the time so its not that bothersome, but I suppose I'll continue to be aware of it in case it gets any worse.

Kelvin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.