New iMac - Old iMac?

Reaction score
Hey guys, just after some advice if possible.

After 10 years with the same iMac I ordered a new one last week and it arrived today.

When I click 'About this Mac' it tells me the year is 2020, however in the security email I received telling me that someone has signed into the new iMac with my account it tells me that it is a 'Mid 2020' iMac. The iMacs that we purchased in work in August are listed as 'Late 2020'.

After spending a big amount of money I am wondering if this makes a difference and/or whether I should accept a 'Mid 2020' iMac when I know there are 'Late 2020' iMacs that exist. (Should I have expected at least a 'Late 2020' iMac? Does it even make a difference?)

Not that it is a big issue for me to do it myself, but Big Sur isn't even installed on the machine - it's Catalina. I just thought for something so expensive (I cranked up most of the specs) they'd at least make everything up to date?

Many thanks for your advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple only released new iMac's once in 2020...and that was in August (which I think would qualify as "Mid-2020").

* Can you please post screenshots of both situations for us to check out?
* Also please provide us with the exact spec's of each iMac model in question?

...this is curious.

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Nick stated, that model was released only once in August and is listed as a 2020 iMac. No Mid or Late.

The only iMac that Apple released in 2020 was the 27" iMac. And it is likely the last Intel iMac that Apple will release, all iMacs from here on will be equipped with the new Apple silicon.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. It all made sense after going to work - the iMac that we bought in August 2020 was infact a Late 2019 model and not 2020! So mine is as you say the only 2020 model that was made.

I know it'll be the last Intel chip machine but I just couldn't wait any longer trying to work on big projects/files using a 10 year old machine :ROFLMAO:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.