New imac, how do I get out of Germany??

Reaction score
I am in the USAF stationed in Germany and just bought a new Imac. In the initial setup screen it asks your location, so entered Germany. Well now all the emails I get from Apple, etc are all in German. Isnt there some way to reset the factory settings or reset my location for US? HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
First of all - Thank you and your fellow service members for keeping us safe.

I hesitate to respond, because what I would recommend is drastic, I don't know any better. Reinstall the OS from scratch and start over.
Of course this would be OK if you haven't installed any other software.

Since no one else responded, I thought I would toss this out there.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I entered Germany. Isn't there some way to reset the factory settings or reset my location for US?

Yes, a fresh OS install should fix things, but make sure you Archive & Install in order to preserve your applications, files etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Could someone walk me through how to do that? I dont have anything loaded on the computer other than setting up m;y internet so doing a reinstall wouldnt hurt anything. Its worth it so I can read everything in english!!!

Reaction score
I've noticed that the standard "fix" to a lot of problems posted on these forums seems to be "do a complete reinstallation." A reinstallation should be used only as a last resort. Surely, there are better ways to fix minor problems. For TxAg98's problem, how about changing settings in system preferences instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I agree, I don't reinstall anything without having exhausted all other options first.

Ya know, I thought I had it going in the right direction then poof... couldn't find the last bit I swear I'd had before.

Reaction score
I don't *think* reinstalling would help the problem.

The Emails you get from Apple are probably due to the fact that the computer was registered in Germany - Apple will probably still continue to send you the Emails regardless of whether you reinstall.
If you take a look at the bottom of the EMail - right above the copyright line there should be a link to unsubscribe - click that ("click here" in German is "Klicken Sie hier", which is what I expect the link will be), then simply resubscribe to the english newsletters.

You can also change the formats to the US standards in the "International" section of the system preferences.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Follow Mark's advice and don't re-install anything. You might be stationed in Germany but your real address is an APO. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.