New iMac and using Mac Pro at the same time

Reaction score
Hey all,

Need a little guidance, could not find much online strangely...have a new iMac, can I migrate my Macbook Pro across but still use both or will various programs (non-Apple) get upset?

Was then thinking of using Chronosync to keep them synced for when I travel with the Macbook once this is done.

Make sense or am I about to enter a world of hurt? Cheers for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like your main question is how to use two Mac's and keep them synced. I imagine the actual items you want to sync are various files from various apps. I think one of the easiest ways of doing this is via the "Cloud"...where you store your files on the "Cloud"...then you can access & use them from any of your devices at any time. And since you're working with the same file on the Cloud...it will always be the latest version of the file regardless of what device you access the file from.

Here's an article that goes into more detail::)

http://www.macworld.com/article/214...ork-with-the-same-files-on-multiple-macs.html

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Yes, you can migrate the data from your MacBook Pro to your new iMac. Just be careful when using the Migration Assistant so that you do not wind up with two accounts on the iMac. If you just want to migrate only certain apps and data, you may be better off doing it manually. Apple apps can be installed on the computers you own so there will be no problem with licensing, however, other apps such as MS Office, Adobe Suite, and many others require purchasing an additional license. Always check the EULA or contact the developer to find out if you're not sure about multiple installs and licensing.

Keeping both computers in sync with Chronosync should work.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the lightning replies!

Actually the iMac is brand new, any issues with doing the initial setup using the Time Machine backup from the Macbook instead of the Migration Assistant?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No issues but a warning: If you use your Time Machine backup to migrate, do not create an account on the new iMac before doing the migration. If you do create an account on the new iMac first that will cause confusion and you'll wind up with an unsettled user account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.