Networking old Mac and new Mac - question

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Newbie here, so 5hanks in advance for your help and patience.

My situation is that I recently upgraded to a new iMac for video editing. Very very pleased with it, bar one thing. Some of the apps I use are 32bit, and won’t now run on my shiny new iMac. This leads to frustrations! (And that’s not even getting started on my expensive printers that no 64bit drivers exist forj.

I currently have an old (2011) Mac mini just to use this software on, but I was wondering, if I were to network the 2 together, could I use the the apps on the new machine, just via the old one?

Hope the question makes sense!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I currently have an old (2011) Mac mini just to use this software on, but I was wondering, if I were to network the 2 together, could I use the the apps on the new machine, just via the old one?

They'll run fine on the 2011 Mini as long as it's not running Catalina. I take it that you would like to run those apps from the new iMac even though they're installed on the Mini and while booted from the new iMac networked to the Mini?

I don't off hand think that will work but I'm no expert when it comes to networking. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't off hand think that will work but I'm no expert when it comes to networking. Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you.

I can't see how that would work, Network or not, as the software would need a compatible OS to run and would need to do so on it's own.

Once that is done, then one could possibly share the resulting produced file over the network, but depending on the software, it may be impossible if the Catalina Mac could even open such a file.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The closest thing I can think of wouldn't actually run the older software on the new system. Turning on the screen sharing feature on both Macs would allow the new Mac to control the software on the old Mac and see the old Macs screen in a window on the new mac. The software is actually running on the older system.

I've used this feature a few times and find it helpful if the Macs in question aren't in the same physical place but are on the same network.

OP
L
Reaction score
The closest thing I can think of wouldn't actually run the older software on the new system. Turning on the screen sharing feature on both Macs would allow the new Mac to control the software on the old Mac and see the old Macs screen in a window on the new mac. The software is actually running on the older

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

And thank you everyone else for your help and input. ?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

And thank you everyone else for your help and input. 

Hope that works out well for you. I started doing that when I was using an aging Mac Pro as a media center abbd had a MacBook Pro as my main machine. I'd get some time consuming video task (such as conversion) going on the Mac Pro and just let it run till done. Using screen sharing meant I could monitor the process from another room and didn't ned to have a monitor attached to the Mac Pro.

I've also used the Remotix program Randy linked to to use an iPad too monitor things on my Mac.

@Rndy Thanks for the links.I meant to post something similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.