networking/modem brand?

Reaction score
I'd need help in revamping my home networking system. Currently I'm renting a modem from Comcast and apple router along with a airport to extend our wifi.

I noticed wifi connection is really poor since Halloween, so i bumped up our broadband speed with our cable provider and since I've upgraded to Yosemite, things still fairly slow. So i figured it's time to return our rental modem back and buy our modem that is compactible with Apple products and improve our wifi connection.

Any recommendations on modem brand?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's very possible that the Comcast modem is not the problem…it's possible that the Apple router you have could be the problem. We may be able to further verify this if we knew what model Apple router you have…and what computer models are being used.:)

Lastly. You can go to a website called "speedtest.net" to test your networks upload & download speeds. Maybe you could run this test…and post the results.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Models

The following brands and models I have are the following:

iMac (21.5 inch, late 2009) with OS Yosemite verison 10.10.1
processor 3.06 GH2 Intel Core 2 Duo
memory 4GB

Router: Airport Extreme Base Station, model A1408
and I have the Airport verison 6.3.4

speedtest results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4027096790.png

so what is the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ahhh… ummmm??? Excuse me, but as you say …"so what is the issue?"

I don't know how much you're paying and what speeds you're expecting, but holy cow, 125±Mb/s download speed isn't exactly what I'd call slow.

What speeds were you getting when it was as you call it — fast????

And what speeds does your plan state???

OP
D
Reaction score
You're right! my results from speedtest surprised me, considering reloading on iMac didn't used to be sluggish.

It's also the issue of our streaming from various apps such as Netflix, Amazon prime videos and such. It takes a while for it to upload and run without freezing up. Lastly my video resoultion for facetime and skype seem to be freezing up too.

Maybe I am approaching this wrong in thinking it's a speed issue when it's something else??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You've got something else goofy going on and it's not dowload speed I don't think. We're lucky to get 25Mb/s download that includes streaming to our Apple TV and have no problems.

I sure hope I'm not going to regret saying that!!! :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're right! my results from speedtest surprised me, considering reloading on iMac didn't used to be sluggish.

It's also the issue of our streaming from various apps such as Netflix, Amazon prime videos and such. It takes a while for it to upload and run without freezing up. Lastly my video resoultion for facetime and skype seem to be freezing up too.

Maybe I am approaching this wrong in thinking it's a speed issue when it's something else??

A couple of questions occur to me:

1. What other devices are accessing your home network when you experience these slowdowns?
2. Do you have any devices not capable of networking at 802.11n speeds (wireless printers, some phones, etc)? if so the network may slow down to their speed unless you have separate bands set up. I've never found a straight answer whether this slowdown only applies when the slower devices are actually using the network or whether it applies as long as they are connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.