Network WiFi Extender

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Hi, long story, so I won't bore you;
but my WiFi router is next to my phone master socket (as recommended), but my Mac and associated printer is some "block walls@ away, resulting low signal strength. I have run a Cat 6 cable through to the room with a small hub, which my Mac is connected to, but my printer is WiFi only, my question is:
I want to add a WiFi extender to the network, but use the cable to provide the input, however none of the extenders I have looked at provide details is this is possible, if so do you have any recommendations, many thanks :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
WiFi extenders will connect to the base through WiFi and extend the network. They wouldn't use the Ethernet cable to re-create a new network.

The hub solution is good and what I use for my computers for the fastest possible speed.

You can grab an extender and see if it will cut through the walls to get enough of a signal to boost it. If not, you'll have to get a few of them close enough so that the degradation through the walls is minimal.

In my house, I have the router on the 1st floor extreme left, I have an extender in the basement in the middle and another one on the 2nd floor toward the right to get good coverage across the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have run a Cat 6 cable through to the room with a small hub, which my Mac is connected to, but my printer is WiFi only,...
I want to add a WiFi extender to the network, but use the cable to provide the input,

If I may make a different suggestion, why not consider just purchasing a network capable printer that has an ethernet connection and your end results would be having a much faster printer available and maybe about the same cost as adding Wi-Fi extenders excetera which will always be slower and more unreliable.

For what it's worth, I ended up connecting our Cannon MX922 Wi-Fi capable printer to our home ethernet Network, but for a completely different reason, and I couldn't believe the increase in speed and reliability and it works with all our Macs and iDevices.

I just thought I should mention the option for you to consider.

Otherwise I guess you are back to your original question and using Wireless methods, and some of those may not be very cheap:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.