network log-in screen

Reaction score
hi,

everytime i use wifi at my college campus, i have to login through the schools network with my id and password. i was just wondering if there was a somewhat simple way to do this on my home wifi setup. id like to be able to assign user names and passwords for people who use it.

family and friends... not for selling access or anything

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi,

everytime i use wifi at my college campus, i have to login through the schools network with my id and password. i was just wondering if there was a somewhat simple way to do this on my home wifi setup. id like to be able to assign user names and passwords for people who use it.

family and friends... not for selling access or anything

Your college campus is likely using a centralized security model like LDAP (Microsoft's implementation is called Active Directory, Novell uses NDS), where a server (or servers) controls user access to the network. I don't know of any easy way to setup something like this with a smaller network, although you can setup multiple accounts on your Mac through the Accounts applet in System Preferences (you can do the same thing on Windows XP and Vista through the Control Panel).

Reaction score
Actually, most colleges use a RADIUS implementation. This is what you would use to authenticate the network for network accessibility. RADIUS will authenticate and monitor the users network usage, session start and stop sessions for accountability. LDAP, Active Directory, and even Novell would need some means of technical support and custom software to be added to the domain. This is expensive to implement, which is why it's easier to use RADIUS. Most Universities also will only provide RADIUS or RADIUS like accounts to avoid implementing a full scale SAN that stores the students profiles.

For the home use routers... The answer is yes! However the Airport Extreme doesn't really do this task well, and there are some other Linksys or Netgear routers that have the ability to connect to RADIUS better than Airport, and still enables each user to authenticate when they connect to the private Network.

BTW, here is a Link in for RADIUS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RADIUS

OP
M
Reaction score
great great information. thanks. ill check it out...

dont have an airport ex, actually have an old belkin one that was on sale. ill be sure to check their support site to see if its supported

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Actually, most colleges use a RADIUS implementation. This is what you would use to authenticate the network for network accessibility. RADIUS will authenticate and monitor the users network usage, session start and stop sessions for accountability. LDAP, Active Directory, and even Novell would need some means of technical support and custom software to be added to the domain. This is expensive to implement, which is why it's easier to use RADIUS. Most Universities also will only provide RADIUS or RADIUS like accounts to avoid implementing a full scale SAN that stores the students profiles.

For the home use routers... The answer is yes! However the Airport Extreme doesn't really do this task well, and there are some other Linksys or Netgear routers that have the ability to connect to RADIUS better than Airport, and still enables each user to authenticate when they connect to the private Network.

BTW, here is a Link in for RADIUS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RADIUS

Always wondered what RADIUS was. Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure you can tell where my background comes from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.