Netupdate by Intego. Do I need it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , MacBook Air (2019),MacBook Air M1
I'm getting pop-ups to install updates from Netupdate (virus barrier, etc.). Don't know how this got on my computer - maybe downloaded a trial a long time ago or something. Anyway, is this anything I need? I assume the apple updates that I get every week should do what I want or need to do.
The Intego website says it's used by millions of mac users, but regular apple/mac updates should suffice, right.
Anyone agree, disagree? Do you use it?
Can I get rid of it/trash it? How?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No you shouldn't install it.... If you have installed any virus and/or firewall protection, you should uninstall it with the application's uninstaller.
Any apps that don't have uninstallers you should use AppCleaner.
I would also go a step further and use OnyX and clean all your cookies, caches, etc.
Also, set your browser to not all popups, even though some will get through occasionally, this should fix the problem.
Even though the above mentioned pop up is for Mac, it is usually a scam trying to get people to install rubbish on there Macs.
You don't need virus protection, and your router will have a firewall, but if you feel the need for extra protection, just go to system preferences>security and turn on your Mac's firewall, and set to stealth mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz; iBook G4, 933MHz
If you are SURE you don't have Virus Barrier as an application, don't click on it. Netupdate, a bluish globe and a green arrow, bouncing up and down on the dock, and a list of files saying there are updates available for your Intego software USUALLY is legit as Intego is a legitimate company making virus software for Mac. What you might want to do is look in your application folder for Net Barrier or Virus barrier, also might be in a folder labeled Intego (assuming it was installed by someone). If you don't have these, you would be doing a service by going to intego.com/contact us and letting them know they are being spoofed. They might just help if you do have something untoward on your machine.

BTW, did you buy the machine used from someone? They might have had it, though Intego updates usually are weekly.

Good luck and careful.

Reaction score
i got my mac and software through a gov fund DSA and Virrus Barria X6 came with it.
so i know its legit. but lately im getting this exact issue.
i get two options shutdown or restart but i found after like 2 weeks that if u hold alt it gives you a remind me later option but that only abates it for 5 mins. id upload a photo but i dont know how to.

C

chas_m

Uninstall Virus Barrier, it's unneeded and will probably fix the problem (or at the very least make your computer run better!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.