Netflix on the iPad

Reaction score
They said CDs were going to disappear once iTunes came along -- certainly single retailers like Tower Records are now gone, but Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc., still move a lot of CDs. I think DVDs will be around even longer simply because broadband still has a long way to go in the U.S. to allow a majority of Americans to download or stream HD movies.

Oddly, my 14 year old budding rock star son prefers CDs to iTunes, not because of sound quality, but for the cover art and liner notes. Cover art is a lost art.

Same reason I miss records ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think vinyl covers rock for this point. And not cause of the size. A lot more effort went into vinyl covers then did CD covers. Sure liner notes for most vinyls is simply non existant but some of the vinyl covers are just beautiful. Real artworks. I'm tempted to get a few really nice mint vinyl covers and frame them and hang them on my wall.

Sure I'd toss the vinyl itself or keep them in a box somewhere cause I am not a vinyl audiohpile or collector. I can just appreciate when I see really nice designs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes, you need a Gold account, at least you did, so it should still be that way.

I use Netflix on my PS3 for free though, no extra charges.

You just dealt a devastating blow…lol…I used to game a lot on the 360. You have no idea how hard it was get my mind off the 360 and onto books and school. Now, I only play on it about twice a month…only when I have a party of something. The reason why I don't want to get the xbl gold is because I know I will probably think it would be a waste of money if I didn't play cod-mw2 on xbl. Is there another way to get netflix on a tv? AppleTV? We just finished the theater room in our new house and I was planning connecting the projector to the 360 so we can watch netflix(like how we had it at our old house). I just could have almost sworn that I didn't have xbl gold when I had netflix back then(a year and a half ago).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's free with PS3 and Wii.

Looks like MS is the only one that makes you pay to have something that costs them nothing. At least I'm assuming it costs to have a gold membership. That's the only way according to the Netflix page about it.

OP
V
Reaction score
I went to BestBuy (again) on Saturday and I logged in into Netflix with my own account (I made sure it logged me off and didn't save my login credentials) and I watched a part of an episode of Spartacus and I was impressed about how good the video was. Maybe it's because the screen is smaller than my 15" MBP, but the people looked SO much different, so sharp.

That was my story for the day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Netflix on my ipad has been a WONDERFUL experience so far! I was very impressed when I found out that I only lost 3% battery charge after watching a 1 hour and 40 minute long movie! I was actually shocked by that…but I guess other people have also been impressed by that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's pretty cool to watch a flick when you go to bed and not bother the other half. Watched the first half of The Professionals last night - Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster.

It's also a pitr. It is still the only app that has locked up. Not just the app, the entire device. I've had it take up to 20 minutes to get it to boot back to the main screen. Netflix has locked mine up well over 50% of the time.

Other than that :Not-Amused: it's pretty cool.

OP
V
Reaction score
It's pretty cool to watch a flick when you go to bed and not bother the other half. Watched the first half of The Professionals last night - Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster.

It's also a pitr. It is still the only app that has locked up. Not just the app, the entire device. I've had it take up to 20 minutes to get it to boot back to the main screen. Netflix has locked mine up well over 50% of the time.

Other than that :Not-Amused: it's pretty cool.

That kind of feedback :)

I'm sorry to hear that Bob. I hope Netflix will soon release an update about this.

I often watch TV shows and movies lying on my bed or outside when it's nice out. Is it possible to watch something when it's bright out there? I can see OK with my laptop outside when I setup the brightness of the screen to full.

Would be nice to watch movies on my laptop and surf the web on an iPad in the meantime.

And I found another good reason to have an iPad 3G! My internet connection at home is messed up sometimes and I can't even check this forum! lol...that is SUCH A GOOD reason to spend $800! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I also notice that the load time of netflix seems to be pretty long sometimes.
When watching a movie, you can accidentally go out of movie mode and onto the netflix page, while the movie is still playing in the background. I haven't found an easy way to get back to the movie after this mishap.

Anyone else notice this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.