negotiating Terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi Guys ive search this one but as its a bit of a odd ball or should i screw ball i didnt expect to find the answer easy. So im hoping some one can help me here.

My Son has a Windows pentium P6 i3Core machine and decided that he wanted a Hackintosh (Mac System on a non Mac Machine) so he decided to download software that would enable this. which is where the problem occurred software that he was supposed to install on his laptop after the installed Lion on his laptop he installed on my imac running Yosemite and now it won't boot. Safe mode will not work i can boot in recovery mode and i can download yosemite to my machine which i have done.

I have have been to the support forum for this software and found a solution apparently he's not the only one to make this mistake. However the solution has to be executed in Terminal and whilst I can use terminal. I'm not sure where to find what i need. I hope i explaining this ok.

Now for the solution The problem lies in Volumes/"OSX"/System/Library/Extensions which i can access in terminal no problem. This folder contains over 100 Kext files what i need to do is delete all this files from that folder.

Go to the recovery partition of the newly downloaded Yosemite and go to /System/Library/Extensions and copy and paste the contents to my Volumes/"OSX"/System/Library/Extensions. My machine will then fully boot up. So my problem is can anyone assist me in telling me where to find the recover partition in terminal.

Running Reinstall OS X from the utilities does not solve the problem as ive tried it i have tried to search the system using terminal all my file are still there all user are still there. I just can't find the recovery partition which holds the files i need

As additional info i have gone into /Volumes/"OS X"/Applications and listed there is "OS X Yosemite.appdownload" but i cannot access it through the terminal window

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not permitted Hackintoshes voiding Apple EULA. Recovery is usually viewable when one reboots holding down 'Option'.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not a terminal guy either. If there are no step by step guides out there that could walk me through the steps, I'd be just repartitioning/formatting the drive, doing a clean install and restore from my backup.

Reaction score
You say your iMac wont boot but you say you can get into Terminal.
Exactly what Terminal are you getting into? Are you talking about single user mode?
It matters because if so I 'might' be able to help.
Also, if this is for a hackintosh, you're on your own...

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
You say your iMac wont boot but you say you can get into Terminal.
Exactly what Terminal are you getting into? Are you talking about single user mode?
It matters because if so I 'might' be able to help.
Also, if this is for a hackintosh, you're on your own...

Hi Cradon
this is on my imac not a hackintosh my son installed a program called Multibeast on to my imac as he confused it with a program on the same site called unibeast which allow you to make a USB stick into a bootable loader for mac. Multibeast has windows driver and he has effectively installed windows driver in to the bootloader section of my iMac.

all the files are in /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions and are display as .kext files

i.e
cd9660.kext
cddafs.kext
hp_fax_io.kext
AMD6000Controller.Kext

As for Terminal I am accessing terminal through Recovery mode i.e turn on machine and wait for the chimes the press CTRL + R then through Utilities/Terminal

I can access all areas of the OS X all file are intact all user names are intact but what i need to do is uninstall all the .kext files and replace them with all the .kext files that are in the recovery HD under /System/Library/Extension

my problem is i dont know where to find the recovery HD i have a Yosemite Install.app in applications but obviously i cant find the file path

I dont want to do a full format and reinstall as i have important work on my machine that i havent backed up yet

Reaction score
Ok, if you're booted into recovery and IF the kexts are installed into the recovery partition, you need to look in /System/Library/Extensions, not in /Volumes.
While the boot disk will show in /Volumes as an alias you don't need to reference it from there.
Using / at the beginning of the path means the root of the boot disk.

Now the question is, are those files in the Recovery partition? The Recovery disk is not a full install of the system. Just enough to start it and use the installer or utilities.

Edit: after rereading your post, I don't think just copying those files will recover the EFI boot partition. You might be looking at a reinstall. Got a backup?

M

MacInWin

Cradom, I haven't tried this, but could the OP boot to the Recovery partition, then from there copy his important work that isn't backed up to an external drive and then do the reinstall? The question, I guess, is can he mount the main boot partition in Recovery for the purpose of copying off his critical work?

Reaction score
Should be able to. If it's not already mounted it's easy to mount. Man mount for the specifics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.