Need lots of easy-to-understand help with installing Windows 7 on my iMac

Reaction score
is Bootcamp the answer

Simple question - do I need to install BootCamp on my MacBook in order to get Word not to crash all the big documents I work on? When I'm editing say a 600kb document Word 2011 keeps crashing, telling me there's no memory - when that happens four or five times it's infuriating since i don't know what's been lost and have to go through everything again

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Simple question - do I need to install BootCamp on my MacBook in order to get Word not to crash all the big documents I work on? When I'm editing say a 600kb document Word 2011 keeps crashing, telling me there's no memory - when that happens four or five times it's infuriating since i don't know what's been lost and have to go through everything again

In short, no. It sounds like you either have a faulty install of Office 2011, or it needs an update. We should probably troubleshoot that in a new thread.

Reaction score
Have you thought about using a program like VMware to do it?

Thats the way I did it, so I now have Windows XP, 7 and the Windows 8 Preview just 1 click away...

OP
E
Reaction score
Haha.
I ended up using Parallels.
Was just about to start with Boot Camp when my dad said he bought me Parallels. I had no idea what it was and he had no idea how to use it, so I just installed the program and wow. Easiest way EVER to run Windows on your Mac! No rebooting or anything, don't even have to backup your files. Just click Add and add Windows 7, and you're done. It configures for a few minutes and then you have Windows 7 one click away for good. Absolutely love it! :D
Thank you so much to the people that helped me in this thread, anyway. I'm sure many others will benefit from it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Haha.
I ended up using Parallels.
Was just about to start with Boot Camp when my dad said he bought me Parallels. I had no idea what it was and he had no idea how to use it, so I just installed the program and wow. Easiest way EVER to run Windows on your Mac! No rebooting or anything, don't even have to backup your files. Just click Add and add Windows 7, and you're done. It configures for a few minutes and then you have Windows 7 one click away for good. Absolutely love it! :D
Thank you so much to the people that helped me in this thread, anyway. I'm sure many others will benefit from it :)

Paralles or VMWare are probably better choices unless you plan on trying to play bleeding edge PC games. I have XP and Win 8 developer preview running on VMWare and they both do what I want.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hello, everybody!
Boy, it's been awhile. Sorry to revive such an old thread. I have an important question, though.
As you know, I installed Parallels 7 and set that up. But I've recently learned that Parallels performs games much worse than a Boot Camp partition would. I pretty much only want Windows on my Mac to play games that aren't compatible with Mac OS X. I want the best performance I can get.
Basically my question is this; I've already installed my Windows 7 OEM 64 bit copy with Parallels. But now I'm starting to think I should do Boot Camp instead. Is it possible to uninstall Parallels and still successfully install Boot Camp, with the same Windows 7 copy? Also, is it worth it to do this?
Please let me know if I need to make a separate thread for this.
Thanks a bunch!
P.S. I believe the settings I have in Parallels for my Virtual Machine are; 150 GB of storage, 6 GB of RAM, and a gig of video memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
BootCamp was the way to go originally as a gamer.

being OEM build would think it will be okay to use it with BootCamp after deleting the Parallels partition however have never used Parallels so suggest you send a PM to chscag about this. Just click on his name Erik and choose PM (Personal Message).

Reaction score
Yes you should be able to do this. Delete the VM (you don't have to actually uninstall Parallels itself), then install Windows via bootcamp. The OEM license only allows it to be installed on one physical machine, so you should be fine.

Parallels should also allow you to create a virtual machine from the Boot Camp install, so you can then have it running both ways if you want. Doesn't work the other way though, as you found out.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.