Need iwconfig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Air , Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,
Hello, Can anyone suggest a program that is the equivalent to iwconfig, if not prepackaged open source is okay.
Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you tell us a little about what you're trying to do? It's easier to give you recommendations if we know what you're doing and what version of OS X you're using.

OP
Objuan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im looking to run a scans of my companys wireless network for monitoring. I've be running Linux and Unix sense 1990. I just switched to a Mac and the commands iwconfig, iwlist, iwscan and others are not packaged in the apple version of Unix and are not in the Mac Ports. Do you have any idea or suggestions that would be an equivalent to these command line programs.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac OS X has a built in network utility app that might be of some use to you. Why don't you try it to see if it will provide some of the things you need? Applications, Utilities, network utility.app.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm pretty sure the reason you can't find them is that the wireless tools package is Linux only. What kinds of scans are you looking to do?

OP
Objuan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need Iwconfig

Gentlemen, Thank you. I have tried the built in network tools that mac has but it is not flexible enough for my needs.
I was trying to save myself time. I will have to write something.

Thank you much for your time.

Objuan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I found this tool on Mavericks:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport

You get help with -help (there is no man page)
(obviously, put a symlink in /usr/sbin or somewhere in your PATH)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Im looking to run a scans of my companys wireless network for monitoring. I've be running Linux and Unix sense 1990. I just switched to a Mac and the commands iwconfig, iwlist, iwscan and others are not packaged in the apple version of Unix and are not in the Mac Ports. Do you have any idea or suggestions that would be an equivalent to these command line programs.

Well, you've still not provided information on your Mac machine or the OS X installed - I'll assume that you are using Mavericks?

As already stated, OS X has a nice Network Utility, unfortunately it is not easy to find (at least in Mavericks) - the app is no longer in the Utilities folder of Finder, so a search is needed.

Options include going to Spotlight and simply typing in 'Net....' - will be a first hit and will open w/ the dialog window shown in my first screen capture; however, if you go into Finder and search your computer (the second screen capture), the Utility is shown as a brown circle (like a radar screen) - right click and setup an alias to your Dock if that is what you want - I have an alias icon on my dock - let us know if the app solves your issues; if not, post back for further advice. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 6.04.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 6.13.47 PM.png

OP
Objuan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, its nice to know that this utility is still around. I have resolved my issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.