Need IMac help please

Reaction score
My wife got a new IMac for Christmas this year 2014 . Today she opened a window and there was an add at the top of the page. The add will NOT go away. Each new window she opens it comes up within 2-3 minutes after opening the window. The add is Cinemas by Cinemas . It is always at the top of the page and we cannot even find a spot to close the add. We have even tried rebooting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When you say…"opened a window and there was an add at the top of the page"…what application are we talking about. Are you talking about an internet browser like Safari? Helps to know what app we are talking about.:)

If this is the case…I would try resetting cache in Safari (Safari menu >> Reset Safari). Select/deselect the options you want.

See if this helps.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If no joy Fred download AdwareMedic and run the Scan option. Other good suggestion which so much garbarghe on the 'net are AdBlockPlus and Ghostery. All free, AdwareMedic is donationware if you like it.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

OP
F
Reaction score
Pigoo3 , I should have known to put information like that in there. I assumed it was Safari also but now she tells me it is Firefox. Thank you for your help. I believe she is also going to DL the adwaremedic .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pigoo3 , I should have known to put information like that in there. I assumed it was Safari also but now she tells me it is Firefox. Thank you for your help. I believe she is also going to DL the adwaremedic .

No problems.:) Just wanted to figure out if you were talking about an internet browser or a different sort of application.

Go thru the Firefox drop down menus. Probably find the "preferences" area…then try resetting the cache.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.