need help

Reaction score
Hi people I hope I'm in the right place to post this!!
Im new here and need serious help.
If anyone can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Macbook pro Intel Duo 2.0 g Hz 80gig HD 1gig memory that I purchased in the apple store in soho NYC in Sep 2006. Since then it has been upgraded to latest Leopard OS. Up to this time everything was well no problems at all with the Macbook Pro.
The problem started when:
I went out and got Snow Leopard to continue to be up to date.
I was in the apple store when I decided to install it , had all day to burn.
So I put in the dvd and my machine kept spitting the disk out it was very annoying , so I asked one of the people to see what the problem was and they said it might be the defective dvd OK so we tried another and it started
to install half way through it and my machine ejected it the next thing he said lets install it with OUR external drive. That did not stand with good with me cause obviously there was a problem ether with my machine or with this OS
So he suggested to erase and reinstall everything from the original dvd's
cause there is a problem with my superdrive.
Ok since then:
1. New super drive
2. New hard drive
3. New 2 gig's of memory
Ohhh back to Tiger
OK so I erased everything on the macbook pro and installed the first dvd then it said to put in dvd #2 and THIS IS WHERE I'M STUCK Apple sent me a new #2 dvd and it still wont install
Before I got all the new stuff (HD SD M) it was the same story
What can be done??
My email just in case is [email protected]
I'm hoping theres a hero to save me and my son with autism
:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't understand..... you did all this in the Apple store, walked in with a working MBP and left with a broken one?

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks I thought I was alone here
am I in the right place to get this kind of advice

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks I thought I was alone here
am I in the right place to get this kind of advice

Sounds like all of your problems occurred while dealing with Apple employees at an Apple Store.

It seems VERY VERY strange to me that your laptop was running fine...and all of these problems started during an OS update to Snow Leopard.

It makes no sense to have needed a new hard drive & new ram. I could see possibly needing a new optical drive if for some reason the OS 10.6 install DVD couldn't be read properly.

I guess I'm a bit confused as to the whole chronology of events. Can you list in order (starting from the beginning) what exactly happened with this computer...starting at the point where your computer was running fine with OS 10.5...and when you tried to update to OS 10.6...and the problems started?

I think that this will help everyone understand what happened...and maybe help folks makes suggestions on what should be done next.

Thanks,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like all of your problems occurred while dealing with Apple employees at an Apple Store.

It seems VERY VERY strange to me that your laptop was running fine...and all of these problems started during an OS update to Snow Leopard.

It makes no sense to have needed a new hard drive & new ram. I could see possibly needing a new optical drive if for some reason the OS 10.6 install DVD couldn't be read properly.

I guess I'm a bit confused as to the whole chronology of events. Can you list in order (starting from the beginning) what exactly happened with this computer...starting at the point where your computer was running fine with OS 10.5...and when you tried to update to OS 10.6...and the problems started?

I think that this will help everyone understand what happened...and maybe help folks makes suggestions on what should be done next.

Thanks,

- Nick

or without all the background info to distract and just tell us exactly where you are right now and what you want to do.

(Frankly, if i had walked into a store with a working machine and walked out with one that wasn't working, I'd be back in the store.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
(Frankly, if i had walked into a store with a working machine and walked out with one that wasn't working, I'd be back in the store.)

I was thinking the same thing..but then I assumed that the OP's laptop (being a 2006 model) that it was out of warranty...and not sure how much the Apple store would do...without wanting to charge for the servicing.

I think we all know how you can go into a store...talk with an employee (not getting their name or anything)...and walking out of the store.

I'm also wondering how "formal" of an interaction did the OP have with the Apple Store when all of these problems started:

- Was it just a "verbal" discussion with just one employee...stick in the 10.6 install disk..and the problems started?
- Was any "paperwork" ever generated?
- Was the computer left overnight?
- How much time has gone by since the initial visit to the Apple Store?

My point is:

- being able to prove in some way that the Apple Store is responsible in some way for the issues.
- who performed all of the hardware installs (Superdrive, hard drive, ram)?
- do we have a name of an employee that worked with the OP
- if a lot of time has gone by...this Apple employee may not even work there any more.

Overall...there could certainly be a lot of confusion/conflict if the OP walks into this Apple store...if no:

- "paperwork" was ever generated
- if the employee (that did the helping) no longer works there
- if a lot of time has gone by
- and if the laptop is no longer covered under warranty

But I DEFINITELY agree...if the Apple store was responsible...they should definitely fix it!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Ditto to the two previous posts.

OP
V
Reaction score
or without all the background info to distract and just tell us exactly where you are right now and what you want to do.

the problem is it installed the first disk successfuly then you get a message
to insert the second disk and that is the problem it keeps rejecting it
all I want is the original OS that came with the MBP to be reinstalled so I can continue installments of Leopard and Snow leopard.
so I'm stuck with this message on the installer screen:
Please insert the "Mac OS X Install Disc 2"

You have chosen to install software that requires this disc.

I called Apple and they sent me a new one (disc #2) and it still does not work
hope thats clear enough info to understand
Thanks Vladimir

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're starting with a fresh install and planning to install Snow Leopard, there's no reason to install Tiger, then Leopard, then SL.

I'd suggest installing SL to start with. After you have it up and running (am assuming you just want to install the iLife apps from your Tiger disc), insert the Tiger disc, open the 'Install Bundled Software' icon and check off the iLife apps there to install them. If you have a newer version of iLife, you won't need anything from those Tiger discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.