Need help troubleshooting system failure

Reaction score
My 15" Macbook Pro (early 2011) has been freaking out and I'm trying to find out what is wrong with it.

I was sending some emails and suddenly my display started to bug out and the computer shut off. I could not get it to boot back up again. When I turned it on, it would take me to the log in screen and after it would just stay on a gray screen.

I did the AHT and the report stated that I have a 4mem error (memory). I then tried booting up twice with one memory stick each time and I still could not get it to work. I then reset the NVRAM and the computer booted up.

I thought everything was fine, web browser and other simple apps were working fine. Then I opened up Avid Media Composer and the display freaked out and the laptop shut off again. I tried this several more times and the same thing happened with the video editing software.

I've included some images of what I've been seeing. I ran a test with Rember and it says the memeroy is working fine. Just want to point out that about 2 years ago Apple replaced everything inside the computer, as my laptop was part of that graphics recall. I had the same issues back then, but Apple was able to take care of it. The only difference was that back then the computer would not boot up at all. Any idea what's wrong?
IMG_6429.JPG IMG_6430.JPG IMG_6427.JPG IMG_6419.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Unfortunately, your machine like so many others who had the logic board replaced because of a bad graphics processor (GPU), have failed again. The problem is the soldering method used on those boards. Soldering is done using non lead solder which over time fails. You can either replace the logic board again if you can do the work yourself or think about buying another machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am afraid your graphics card is dying again. It is most likely the discrete graphics from AMD that is the problem. The integrated Intel graphics are usually not the problem. From what I read when Apple repaired the graphics issues they used refurbished boards. The life of the boards varied.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
I figured it was the graphics card. I thought it was back to normal when I reset the NVRAM. Simple apps were opening fine, but as soon I opened my video editing software the machine malfunctioned.

I feel I could still use the laptop for the web and email stuff, but screwed with trying to do any video editing.

Any way to fix this or am I going to need to buy a new machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any way to fix this or am I going to need to buy a new machine?

Did you read my reply above? The only way to fix it is to replace the logic board, however, you'll still have the same problem in the future since any logic board that's available will be a refurbished one and the graphics will fail like before. I would not waste any more money or time on that machine. Buying a new MacBook Pro is one solution but will be expensive especially if you wish to have a 15" model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
It's possible to replace the graphics chip rather than the entire board. This option may be cheaper and better than replacing the entire board if the original gpu is replaced with an updated revision of the chip.

Unfortunately, both options are not cheap and long-term reliability after such a repair/replacement is unknown.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
At this point you are looking at a 6 year old machine. I will tell you when my 2011's graphics die I will be replacing it. As you stated you could continue to use it for simple stuff. I suggest while you use it start saving for a newer model.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.