Need Help: partitions, defrags and apps

Reaction score
How it started: I need to make a partiton from my mac, (minimum 17 gb) i have about 60 gb free on my mac

problem! : files are fragmented/sparse around the hard drive and partitions need "contiguous" disk space... i have techtool pro and Drive Magic but they can only optimize/defrag a drive that isnt the boot one. :Grimmace:

so i thought... ill go to my windows partition and defrag my mac from there with programs... WRONG all defrag programs i know dont defrag HFS format.

so i need help, i need either one of these: a windows program that defrags HFS / a mac program that optimizes it even if booted from mac or suggestions are welcome :|

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all - DO NOT use a Windows tool, defrag program or otherwise on a HFS partition! You run the risk of destroying the folder\file integrity of HFS and could lose all your data. So don't do it.

I thought TechTool Pro allowed for making a bootable OS X disk that can boot the machine and then run the defrag routine? How about Drive Magic?

You might want to give iDefrag a try as it does have the ability to create a bootable disk so the program can be run while the hard drive is not mounted. The program is $29.95.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I thought TechTool Pro allowed for making a bootable OS X disk that can boot the machine and then run the defrag routine?

Yep. You can create an eDrive right on your hard drive, and run the Performance > Optimization routine after an eDrive Restart. Or, you can boot from the TTP disc and run it from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.